Axis

Help Support CattleToday:

Should be plenty. I would think any of your common deer rifle calibers would be sufficient. I went out to Texas in 2006. Long story but the main goal was whitewings. Also shot an "exotic sheep". Yeah right. Just an over grown Billy goat. And got to dart some huge bucks with a tranquilizer gun inside some relatively small enclosures(all part of breeding, vaccinating, health checking, etc, high fence ranch operation). Anyways there was an axis deer that had gotten loose from an exotic ranch in the vicinity. According to my host when an exotic is running wild there are no rules and regulations bc they are not a native animal. Was gonna shoot him but he was not in the ranch I was at and I couldn't make myself shoot him from a public road. Between that and a trespassing charge I didn't want to go to jail in Texas. Besides, I'm too good looking to go to jail :lol2:

I killed a 32 inch axis about 5 years ago with a 204 ruger. 08 should be plenty of gun . They are bigger than texas whitetail. To me it's better meat than whitetail . If I have a choice I'll shoot an axis everytime.

JSCATTLE":3k0ziak6 said:
I killed a 32 inch axis about 5 years ago with a 204 ruger. 08 should be plenty of gun . They are bigger than texas whitetail. To me it's better meat than whitetail . If I have a choice I'll shoot an axis everytime.
If they keep escaping from these high fence operations we'll soon have a season on them. Not uncommon at all to see them standing out in fields.

TexasBred":15jsk9k9 said:
JSCATTLE":15jsk9k9 said:
If they keep escaping from these high fence operations we'll soon have a season on them. Not uncommon at all to see them standing out in fields.

Friend has 750 acres out of Junction said they are everywhere like whitetail.
He said they will run the whitetail off from the protein feeders.

Latest posts