average weight

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I just bought a bred (45 days), Angus heifer privately. I weighed her at a feedlot on the way home....#980. I have a Angus steer, that I kept as a pet gomer that is one month younger...#1288. I like the bigger cows, not "easy keepers" as my neighbor calls his. But.... what is normal for Angus? I was thinking she would be close to my steers weight, but maybe he is an exception not the rule?

980 lb for an Angus hfr 45 days bred sounds OK. How old is the hfr and what condition is she in in comparison to the steer.

She was born March 2nd, of '03. She looks good as far as weight, hard to explain, but she is not thin, if she was a young lady, I'd say she still had baby fat on her. She is about 6" shorter than the steer also, but he also has more leg than body depth.

Anonymous":cbas21vy said:
She was born March 2nd, of '03. She looks good as far as weight, hard to explain, but she is not thin, if she was a young lady, I'd say she still had baby fat on her. She is about 6" shorter than the steer also, but he also has more leg than body depth.
He probaly has more body length. Body length also weighs.

Anonymous":2rh51aqb said:
I just bought a bred (45 days), Angus heifer privately. I weighed her at a feedlot on the way home....#980. I have a Angus steer, that I kept as a pet gomer that is one month younger...#1288. I like the bigger cows, not "easy keepers" as my neighbor calls his. But.... what is normal for Angus? I was thinking she would be close to my steers weight, but maybe he is an exception not the rule?

She should be plenty big enough for you- I run cows that weigh around 1200 lbs and my heifers usually weigh only 900-1000 lbs when they calve. She'll probably mature out to around 1400-1500 lbs (depending on how big framed she is)- way too big for me.

Isn't that pretty much typically of the newer type Angus? I know the ones I've seen shown in the past year have been frame score 5 or 5.5

I think that's the direction the breed is taking. Personally I prefer a bigger cow... most of ours probably mature about 1200 - 1500.

TheBullLady":2dyd7trm said:
Isn't that pretty much typically of the newer type Angus? I know the ones I've seen shown in the past year have been frame score 5 or 5.5

I think that's the direction the breed is taking. Personally I prefer a bigger cow... most of ours probably mature about 1200 - 1500.

I hope thats the way they're going- thats actually more like the old angus- then when they tried to develop angus that looked like the continentals it was hard to find a bull that wasn't a 6.5 frame or bigger and some were in the 7 and 8 frames- looked more like saddle horses than they did angus.

My problem with the 1500 lber is that where I live- in the winter it takes a lot more hay to fill those 1500-1600 lb cows and keep them going.

Oldtimer I have to agree with you on cow size.We have been moving back to British breeds the last while. Got tired of pouring the feed to those big old cows. :) :)

Guest,
Another opinion on old nemsis frame or weight. Personally I have always been payed on weight not on frame. I whould not worry as much as you
seem to be worrying about frame for unless your sellling Sail boat fuel or in other words air. Meat and muscle pay more than bones which is a discount. Think of it this way I have NFQHA 14-2 hand (58") or 7.6 frame 1200# Poco Pine / Peponita horse that holds this 260# cowboy up and a 6595 5.6 or almost 55" frame son who weighs 2250#.
So if your not going to ride your 16.5 to 17.5 hand bull or cow I would listen to la4angus or the Oldtimer and woory sbout weight not frame , your enviroment , and realize that your heifer or cow should not weigh at same age as what your steer or bull does
Have A Blessed Day!
BEEEEF

I think a bull or steer will weigh more at the same age than a heifer. Men, all species are bigger.
How do you figure a frame score on an animal? I have been to ranches and heard guys say "that ones a 6, and that one over there is a 7.5." Looked the same to this untrained eye!?!? I thiught there was some math formula of weighing them and measuring their height at the hip bones and shoulders or something complicated like that?

Anonymous":37yesal5 said:
I think a bull or steer will weigh more at the same age than a heifer. Men, all species are bigger.
How do you figure a frame score on an animal? I have been to ranches and heard guys say "that ones a 6, and that one over there is a 7.5." Looked the same to this untrained eye!?!? I thiught there was some math formula of weighing them and measuring their height at the hip bones and shoulders or something complicated like that?

Simpilest awnser is get a chart from your breed association or extension agent. You will then measure animal by sex and age in inches and the chart will tell you frame score. I have a tape attached to chute so you can get your height when you weigh. Hope this will help you.
Have A Blessed Day
BEEEEF

Anonymous":1kvoz9im said:

http://falsterfarm.com/sale_barn/cattle_frame_score.htm

this may help :D

I agree with Oldtimer. Even though I live in the south where we have essentially no winters, I still prefer to not have to feed oversized cows any extra coastal round bales during our few colder months. What a waste. As a woman rancher, I also am on foot around my animals and prefer the small, polled, English cattle for size and temperment (read: Herefords). They just do fine here and bring just fine at the market. When my neighbors and other passersby (experience rancher neighbors) slow down to look at my pretty little herd, and compliment me, I know I can't be all wrong. I love my gentle cows and I don't want "Rodeo-bull looking cows" on my place. Mellow is my motto 'round here.

TexasCountryWoman":18svpxxp said:
I agree with Oldtimer. Even though I live in the south where we have essentially no winters, I still prefer to not have to feed oversized cows any extra coastal round bales during our few colder months. What a waste. As a woman rancher, I also am on foot around my animals and prefer the small, polled, English cattle for size and temperment (read: Herefords). They just do fine here and bring just fine at the market. When my neighbors and other passersby (experience rancher neighbors) slow down to look at my pretty little herd, and compliment me, I know I can't be all wrong. I love my gentle cows and I don't want "Rodeo-bull looking cows" on my place. Mellow is my motto 'round here.
Thanlk U, TCW!!!

Latest posts