Average Time Opinion

Help Support CattleToday:

Okie403

Reaction score
Here is one that I bet solicits a lot of answer, quite a few that will be DUH...

But...what is your experience of the average time between birth and the calf standing (even shakily)?

Last calf hit ground about 7am and while he'll sit up, he has stood yet...

Thanks

What breed? Most of the beef calves I've encountered are up and often nursing within an hour... dairy calves sometimes take 24 hours to stand.

Most within the first hour or when mom gets them licked off. I have seen them stand within just a few minutes, and others I have really worried about. Most of the time I am not there for the event.

That we've actually seen born the longest was 15 minutes except for one that was a hard pull because of the leg being twisted around. His head and one leg up to the knee had been out for around 2 hours before we finally got him out. He layed in one spot and didn;t move for 55 minutes. At the 55 minute mark when I figured we'ld have to put the heifer in the chute, milk her and tube the calf, he stood up, on his third attempt he made it walked around the pen walked straight over to hte heifer and latched on and started sucking like he had been doing it forever.
Simply amazing critters at times.

milkmaid":1msl498z said:
What breed? Most of the beef calves I've encountered are up and often nursing within an hour... dairy calves sometimes take 24 hours to stand.

I have seen beef especially herfords from the time they drop to ten minutes later up and nursing.Dairy bull calves I have seen them not be able to stand for a minimum of 24 hours at times.Especially the huge dumb ones;you know the ones that can't even suck from a bottle properly.Nothing worse than a 130lb dumb dumb.I think you just have to be patient.As long as it is healthy it will eventually stand.All you can do is get his colostrum into him a wait.I have heard that stimulation to the hips and hocks helps so you might try massaging them.

dun":2zzikecv said:
That we've actually seen born the longest was 15 minutes except for one that was a hard pull because of the leg being twisted around. His head and one leg up to the knee had been out for around 2 hours before we finally got him out. He layed in one spot and didn;t move for 55 minutes. At the 55 minute mark when I figured we'ld have to put the heifer in the chute, milk her and tube the calf, he stood up, on his third attempt he made it walked around the pen walked straight over to hte heifer and latched on and started sucking like he had been doing it forever.

I am really interested to hear your strategy on how to correct such a malpresentation. Had one about 4 years ago and that was the hardest pull I ever had. In the end I had to cut the head off as there was no physical way to get the very swollen head of the dead calf pushed back in deep enough to get the other foot out.

KNERSIE":1m0sueyr said:
dun":1m0sueyr said:

I am really interested to hear your strategy on how to correct such a malpresentation. Had one about 4 years ago and that was the hardest pull I ever had. In the end I had to cut the head off as there was no physical way to get the very swollen head of the dead calf pushed back in deep enough to get the other foot out.

Fortunately I got a hold of the vet. He spent half an hour groping around inside just to find the leg and foot. Took another 15 minutes to get a chain on the foot and work it around to where he could pull the calf. Wasn;t much of a pull. I think it boils down to a lot of experience and a bunch of skill at dealing with these problems.

Okie403":2rljy85o said:
Here is one that I bet solicits a lot of answer, quite a few that will be DUH...

But...what is your experience of the average time between birth and the calf standing (even shakily)?

Last calf hit ground about 7am and while he'll sit up, he has stood yet...

Thanks

Cow delivers calf - somewhere around 10, 15 minutes from the time they hit the ground until they are toddling around looking for food. Easy pull - usually within the hour. Hard pull, and calf not up within an hour to an hour and a half - we bottle with a pint of regular milk, put cow in chute and milk her - then bottle, or help calf suck. Which route depends on circumstances and what kind of shape the calf is in.

one time a lady called me at 3am to come pull a calf in a 8 year old heifer(ye sthe lady waited 7years to bred a big ugly holstein) and sh esaid the calfs rear end ha dbeen sticking out since about noon. i worked on getting that calf out of her for about 2 hours. the head was the size of a basketball no joke. i pushed the calf back in and get the legs out and worked and worked getting that head out i finally had to cut her open to get the calf out, theyusaully stand with in 24hours. if not drench him

Latest posts