Help Support CattleToday:

> Right now is when cows around here
> look their worst. Feeding 3-4
> month old calf, hot & humid,
> fescue, lower nutritional quality
> in the grass they do eat, having
> to cover more ground for pound of
> feed.

> dun I think maybe Dun, Craig was referring to the prices being paid for cull cows right now. At least they've been bringing some pretty good prices here in TN. Of course, they would need some meat on them. TSR

[email protected]

Sorry for the confusion. When I said if a cow doesn't look good this time of year she will never look good, I figured it was the same everywhere. In these parts, cows look their worst in wintertime.

My point was that they have been on (hopefully good) grass all summer. They may have been a little fatter in late spring when everything was green and there was more of it than they could stand there and eat. But they certainly shouldn't look poor right now. In other words, if a cow is looking drawn now, she will look awful this winter – around here, anyway.

TSR, that wasn't my meaning but thanks, I'll sure take any points I can get for it. Ha. You're right, cutters and canners are bringing relatively decent money right now. That makes two reasons why it's a good time to cull.

Craig-TX

> There are number of seedstock
> herds that sell every cow that is
> x years old. Some it's 5, some
> it's 6 some it's 7 I guess they
> figure they;re alwasy staying up
> with the latest in demand
> genetics.
> dun

That's why I love the seedstock guys I live around. I buy their "culls" just because they calve a few weeks late that year or they are too old (usually 5-6 yrs old) and I buy them for under $400. I get a great calf every year and keep my production costs low. I couldn't afford to buy this type of genetics otherwise.

[email protected]

Latest posts