Average Cow Longevity ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Massey135":2on1ecwj said:
When I started in the shorthorns, I was amazed that many of the breeders I initially went to that had cows in their 20s. most commercial cows are lucky to go 10-12 before having tooth/mouth problems.

It would also make sense that the later maturing types would have more longevity.

Most commercial cows have to earn their keep, unlike some, but not all seedstock cattle

Yea, you're right. Not too many 1800 lb fullblood limo cows could sustain themselves on grass alone.

The 2 places I was referring are in pretty rough country. Roll, Oklahoma and Sonora, Tx. Both ranchers supplement winter pastures, as does every rancher I know besides you. Then again, you sell 400lb calves. Other than that, they are pasture cattle. Surely your aging mind hasn't forgotten the longevity of the roan Durhams?

Actually Houstoncutter is right. A cow must earned its keep. I culled few young cows in the past due to behavioral problems, poor mothering or health problems.

houstoncutter":a1j674ru said:
Massey135":a1j674ru said:
When I started in the shorthorns, I was amazed that many of the breeders I initially went to that had cows in their 20s. most commercial cows are lucky to go 10-12 before having tooth/mouth problems.

It would also make sense that the later maturing types would have more longevity.

Most commercial cows have to earn their keep, unlike some, but not all seedstock cattle
come on now, some work hard having to stand out in the pastures, and look pretty for their owners... takes its toll on em

Everybody has stories of cows that lasted into their teens or 20s but what truely is the norm for your herd? How many cows do you have to sell at 2-3-4-5-6-7-8 because they have some sort of issue?

I know that I have a decent sized group of cows that are in their teens, but it's probably only 1/3 of their heifer contemporaries that made it to the age of 12+. Losing a calf, open, or otherwise being a pain in my butt eventualy weeds out a good portion.

Massey135":2k9r1thd said:
Yea, you're right. Not too many 1800 lb fullblood limo cows could sustain themselves on grass alone.

The 2 places I was referring are in pretty rough country. Roll, Oklahoma and Sonora, Tx. Both ranchers supplement winter pastures, as does every rancher I know besides you. Then again, you sell 400lb calves. Other than that, they are pasture cattle. Surely your aging mind hasn't forgotten the longevity of the roan Durhams?

Your correct Massey, I dont know any bred of cow that is 1800 lbs in the US, that could sustain on grass.

As for my aging mind having knowledge of roan Durhams,,,,it doesnt have any. Why, you may ask, because at present, roan cattle no matter the breed are discounted in the south. I dont think this is the case in the north and midwest. I live, and ranch in the commercial world. Your club calf shorthorns are pretty, but at present they are a niche market here in Texas. Need futher proof, look at the Texas Shorthorn Association website, they list about 10 members. Know look at the Angus or Limousin or Brahman or Simms or Chars or Brangus or Gerts or Gelbviehs or Beefmaster and others and look at their member listing..Shucks , my old feeble mind has just named off more breeds that really matter here in Texas, than you have as members here in Texas.

This is not meant as a dig at your breed. I like the breed, but you are going to have to get a solid color to be a player here in the south!

Jake":3qv7e3yr said:
Everybody has stories of cows that lasted into their teens or 20s but what truely is the norm for your herd? How many cows do you have to sell at 2-3-4-5-6-7-8 because they have some sort of issue?

I know that I have a decent sized group of cows that are in their teens, but it's probably only 1/3 of their heifer contemporaries that made it to the age of 12+. Losing a calf, open, or otherwise being a pain in my butt eventualy weeds out a good portion.

Neighbor is 86 and has an entire herd in there 20's with the exception of the bull.
Before the drought I didn't have but one or two under 10 years old.
Brimmer influence changes the game.

It has more to do with your grass and soil type than breed. If your grass is over grazed and 2inches tall with lots of rocks or sand your going to have some pretty young brocken mouth cows.

salebarn junkie":13zmmwuq said:
It has more to do with your grass and soil type than breed. If your grass is over grazed and 2inches tall with lots of rocks or sand your going to have some pretty young brocken mouth cows.

I agree good grass equal's good teeth and longevity now add some Brimmer and it goes even higher.

Rosielou":1c5qyd74 said:
We had several crossbreeds last until their early-mid 20's and still raising good calves. Angus, Limousin, Brangus and Charolais influences.

Wow y muste not no wen a cowes done doin good then. ieve never herd a cow that old bein the herd that long.

Novice":yqee9jbd said:
Rosielou":yqee9jbd said:
We had several crossbreeds last until their early-mid 20's and still raising good calves. Angus, Limousin, Brangus and Charolais influences.

Wow y muste not no wen a cowes done doin good then. ieve never herd a cow that old bein the herd that long.

can we get a Translator please ??

M5farm":2onywn7z said:
Novice":2onywn7z said:
Rosielou":2onywn7z said:

can we get a Translator please ??

" Wow, you must not know when a cow no longer is doing good, then. I have never heard of a cow that old, staying in the herd that long"

Murray Greys have a reputation for longevity. I currently have one cow that is 13 and still producing good calves.

Springer Farms LLC

If you're looking for a breed that will last the longest- its an Aubrac that you have been looking for. The French Farmers have Aubrac Cows calving when they are 20 Years Old Plus!Now for a cow producing a calf from the age of 2 1/2 years plus that is brilliant! The Cows last a very long time and are an exceptional good cross with any bull. You can give them any breed- Charolais, Aubrac, Belgian Blue, Hereford, simmental Angus, ect..including dairy breeds.. They cross exceptionally well with the Aubrac And the Culard Charolais Bulls. Aubrac cows calve down themselves and they produce an Excellent calf for the export market.Hope this answer answers your question, but in your case an Aubrac would be perfect!I would recommend this new and upcoming breed for everyone and anyone, who wants to have a very easy managed good herd of Sucklar Cows and Calves.
-Catherina-

My nearest neighbor has a Char/Beefmaster cross 20+ that still calves every year. He claims she's the 'grandmother' of most of his herd..
Might be her last one this year tho--mastitis pretty bad, and she's movin slow last I saw of her.

Most crossbreds of any kind are built to last a long, long time. I wouldn't trade the "commercial" girls for any straightbred.
Most of the ones at my brother's farm, including my two cows are crosses, with the majority being Simmental, Belgian Blue and Charolias mix.

We just recently decided on adding some Highlander which is also known for longevity.
We are adding them for the purpose of "hair" for show calves. A lot of the calves at my brother's have great shape, but the judges here like hair, even tho you can't eat it.
I get that it can make them look smooth, so we are going to try a several year experiment and see how it goes.

At least the Highlander has good carcass merit with being lean which is what we are currently working for anyway.