• 41-45

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 45-50

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Campground Cattle

Reaction score
Sorry the poll did not post first time incoming phone call knocked me off. Average age Texas A&M published a paper that less than 2 pecent of the ranchers in Texas are now under 50. Just wondering what the rest of the country looked like.

Mine is 28 and don't mind being a baby compared to some. I say that because all I hear is how young I am.

Hey Scotty, is that tree still standing downtown on the side of the main drag? I'm talking about the oak where the father of one of the founders hid him when the Comanches were after them. I remember reading the marker there, and also getting a kick out of the story about that same guy, once he was an old man, sitting under that tree with his shotgun when they were going to widen the road, or something like that. Please refresh my memory. It was a great piece of history.

Craig-TX

Yes the tree is still there. I will have to ask my father in law about the shotgun story. I am an import to the town of only five years. I have hear lots of stories about it. Get back to you ASAP.

Yes the man did sit under the tree with his gun. Had to be removed. The road got widened and the tree remained. That was why he was there because there was talk of removing it. I hear that in the next few months there is to be another road job all through town. The old Cora courthouse is to be reworked also. Part of the Texas Main street projects. The tree again was brought up and I was told is to be protected at all times by the contractor.

That's good to know. In some ways the wild west days seem so long ago. In other ways, if you think about it, they were less than two lifetimes ago. It's a different world these days and it's important to hold on to our heritage. I'm glad they are leaving the oak intact. Thanks for the update.

Craig-TX

When you mentioned the wild west and how recent it was in actuallity, it reminded me that around here they didn't have electricity outside of towns until the late 50's

dun

Craig-TX":trj3nik1 said:
That's good to know. In some ways the wild west days seem so long ago. In other ways, if you think about it, they were less than two lifetimes ago. It's a different world these days and it's important to hold on to our heritage. I'm glad they are leaving the oak intact. Thanks for the update.

Craig-TX

I can't rea;;y remember the date for you. Will get back with that. Some times when I am horse back I think I might have been born 100 years to late. But most of what I learned of outdoor living was from boy scouts. Dun there are still a few "hermits" if you will living around here. No electricity, no running water, not a single luxury. I don't think there name is Gilagan.

We got electricity before I was born but it was after WWII. We were still on party lines till the mid-late '80s. I think about my dad growing up like those for centuries before him, farming with a team, coal oil lamps, no phone or running water or electricity. It's amazing how times have changed in one generation. He still remembers the whole country without any paved roads. Here we are now with satellite internet access (no high-speed or cable out here and the copper won't support but about 7,000bps because the old party line infrastructure is still used), etc. Our gas man let us run out the other day and I had to stop and remind myself not to get mad. For crying out loud, going without hot water for one morning and it was tempting to think how bad it was. We're blessed, that's for sure. Enough rambling for now…

Craig-TX

Besides living without elecricity- how many remember living without plumbing? Several times this winter when we were having a blizzard or 30 below cold spell, I thought about those hated trips to the little house out back. Set the kerosene lantern down close to you to try and get as much heat as possible from it and make the trip as brief as possible.

Sometimes wonder why everyone back then didn't die of constipation.

Besides living without elecricity- how many remember living without plumbing? Several times this winter when we were having a blizzard or 30 below cold spell, I thought about those hated trips to the little house out back. Set the kerosene lantern down close to you to try and get as much heat as possible from it and make the trip as brief as possible.

Sometimes wonder why everyone back then didn't die of constipation.

That is why they made chamber pots that had to be emptied everyday. I can remember as a kid the outhouses, and houses without electricty and running water. That was early 70's. The old farms had the outhouse in the woodshed/attachment to the barn around hear. Just think our forfathers did not have telephones, cable, electricity and all the other luxuries to pay for every month. No wounder they could live off of small farms and survive.

Intructions to the house turn off highway take dirt road for 3 miles. Turn right on highline right of way, house at top of hill. Everytime we have a bad storm were without electricity. Everyone has a generator The county is so poor I don't look for us to every have paved roads. The phone cable is buried in the county road. After a wet spell about every other time when the county maintains the road they cut the phone cable. We just got 911 last year.

Campground, hope they did a better job with your 911 system than they did with ours. They contracted a company to do a county census because they had to rename a lot of streets and roads to avoid duplicate names for the emergency crews. They missed a lot of places - didn't think anyone lived way back in there, etc. By the time they finally got it straightened out, we had three new mailing addresses in less than nine months. They told us we had to do change of address forms each time or we would not continue to receive mail. They lied. I didn't send the new addresses to any of the people I owed money to but I've never failed to receive one of my bills yet! :lol:

They did the name change thing in this county to implement the 911 system. Instead of the local "5-10" meaning the 10th road on Hwy 5 the assigned names that have no rhyme or reason. Camden county uses both systems, name and number, that helps some, but it really just adds to the confusion. Some folks know the road as one thing and others know it as the other.

dun

fit2btied":2l3ndsb5 said:
Campground, hope they did a better job with your 911 system than they did with ours. They contracted a company to do a county census because they had to rename a lot of streets and roads to avoid duplicate names for the emergency crews. They missed a lot of places - didn't think anyone lived way back in there, etc. By the time they finally got it straightened out, we had three new mailing addresses in less than nine months. They told us we had to do change of address forms each time or we would not continue to receive mail. They lied. I didn't send the new addresses to any of the people I owed money to but I've never failed to receive one of my bills yet! :lol:

live without electricity?? heck, my kids think cable tv is a God-given right to have. How many of ya'lls kids have ever seen a record album, especially a 45 record? My kids found my old albums when we moved last yr, and had no idea how those things worked!

On a side note, I can remember not having airconditioning, we had a water cooler up until about 1968, and I can remember getting our first color TV in about 1972 or so, I remember it was a Saturday morning, we bought it at Whites, and we came home and watched the Flintstones on it!!LOL

Sound like your one of the boomers, my baby is 23 (serving in the USAF), mine were astounded that we use to not have FM radios. I use to ride my horse to court their mom because I couldn't afford the gas at 20 cents a gallon. My first truck was a 57 chevy Apache got 10 miles to gallon up or down hill. The one they had the hardest time grasping was the blue law in Texas. No stores could be open on Sunday except grocery.

Latest posts