• less than40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 41-45

• 45-50

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
About 10 years ago I told a young guy that I didn't have a car until I was 19 yr. old and he asked me how I got around. I told him I rode a horse. He dang near had to change his drawers.

I remember either riding my horse or driving the tractor to the store to get my snuff. I wasn't old enough to drive a car, so the tractor with SMV sign sufficed. When dad was using the tractor I had to take my roping horse to the store.

eric":3kghlud7 said:
live without electricity?? heck, my kids think cable tv is a God-given right to have. How many of ya'lls kids have ever seen a record album, especially a 45 record? My kids found my old albums when we moved last yr, and had no idea how those things worked!

On a side note, I can remember not having airconditioning, we had a water cooler up until about 1968, and I can remember getting our first color TV in about 1972 or so, I remember it was a Saturday morning, we bought it at Whites, and we came home and watched the Flintstones on it!!LOL

we didn't have air conditioning until i was in jr high......not because it wasn't around but because my dad didn't want the increase in the electric bills :lol:

i don't remember when we got our color tv but i do remember being the remote when i was a kid. i think that's why kids have more weight problems now......they're not having to run back & forth from the tv to change the channels for their parents! :lol:

The blue law....was that a national thing or just in Texas? I can remember going in the little grocery store and finding complete ailes roped off because you could'nt buy certain things on Sunday. Man, how times have changed, nowadays if the store isn't open 24/7 we don't know what to do!

One of my first jobs was at a Cabell's Dairy grocer, (I was like 12/13 yrs old), my job was cleaning up and racking the coke / milk bottles and such, and the old man would only open from 7am to 7 pm Monday -Saturday. As soon as he retired and sold out, 7-11 bought the store and they immediately opened 24 hrs 7 days a week. Anyone else remember riding their bikes for miles collecting coke bottles? We used to get 3 cents for the little ones and 5 cents for the family size pop bottles! Not much $, but baseball cards only cost 5 cents back then too!

I remember having to drink the cokes at the store because we didnt want to pay the deposit on the bottle! LOL

Campground Cattle said:
Sound like your one of the boomers,

Nah, I am what they call a Tweener....barely too young for a boomer (born in '62), but definately not a GenXer either. Maybe that's my problem, I never really conformed to any particular part of society. And I have a 20 yr old daughter, goes to TCU in Ft. Worth. GO FROGS!!!

eric":kjw0w4p6 said:
The blue law....was that a national thing or just in Texas? I can remember going in the little grocery store and finding complete ailes roped off because you could'nt buy certain things on Sunday. Man, how times have changed, nowadays if the store isn't open 24/7 we don't know what to do!

One of my first jobs was at a Cabell's Dairy grocer, (I was like 12/13 yrs old), my job was cleaning up and racking the coke / milk bottles and such, and the old man would only open from 7am to 7 pm Monday -Saturday. As soon as he retired and sold out, 7-11 bought the store and they immediately opened 24 hrs 7 days a week. Anyone else remember riding their bikes for miles collecting coke bottles? We used to get 3 cents for the little ones and 5 cents for the family size pop bottles! Not much $, but baseball cards only cost 5 cents back then too!

I remember having to drink the cokes at the store because we didnt want to pay the deposit on the bottle! LOL

Blue law was only Texas as far as I know

That particular bluelaw may have been only in TX, but others just as dumb are in place or were in place in lots of states/counties/towns

dun

Campground Cattle":lap9ngrb said:
eric":lap9ngrb said:

Blue law was only Texas as far as I know

Two years ago when hurricane lily hit us, we were out of power for four hot days.With the heat and all the water the storm dumped it was pretty tropical. I borrowed a small generator from a relative that had power, to keep my freezers from defrosting. My wife and kids went to her mothers and I stayed home to keep an eye on the place. My dad did the same. During the day I'd go to his house to run his freezer and listen to him tell me that he spent most of his childhood without electricity, that I was getting a taste of how it was, since we've had power since I was born. Then after a while I'd go home, run my freezer, and sleep in front of my floor fan at night. The day my power came back on I called him and told him. His wasn't on yet. Fifteen minutes later he was at my house picking up the generator and my floor fan!
I gave him a knowing smile, and he turned and said " The good old days weren't all good"

nothing but grocery stores and c-stores open o sundays in North Dakota until early 90's.I think we were last in the nation to have sunday opening. We are even starting the Lottry... this thursday in fact tickets go on sale

Latest posts