Average Age Of Farmers

Help Support CattleToday:

TREY-L":1j4dczas said:
ERodrig":1j4dczas said:
Trey,
I'm right there with you. I wasn't able to jump into ranching until I turned 32. I've always wanted to do it, just couldn't afford it. Most of my family spent most of their lives working on other peoples land and learned a lot. My grandfather managed a dairy farm and my uncle farms about 10,000 acres, but never for themselves. I finally convinced a friend of mine to invest with me and found an 86 year old man that was willing to sell me a small piece of land (28 acres). I've worked out a plan and this is just the start. I'd like to eventually own at least 1,000 acres. I'm one of those that works 40+ hours a week and then drive for 40 minutes to go check on my cattle and work until the sun goes down. I will do this until my body or God doesn't let me.

Wheeew! I'm glad i'm not the only one! I've always noticed the work doesn't seem near as bad at the end of the day,when the work's done, and your watching the sun go down and it's cooling off, walking with the cows while they are grazing while the calves are running and bouncing and chasing each other.
That is my favorite time with them, it makes it all worth while.
Trey
-Trey-You are beyond the point of no return! When you find yourself thinking and dreaming about your herd, the calves, the sunsets, the fresh air, the feel of the soil under your feet when you walk on it, the knowledge that you KNOW that that cow is comfortable when she sees you coming toward her, the smell of new grass, fresh cut hay, the sound of a corral gate closing - - you are hooked! Welcome to the World of Comfort and Satisfaction with Yourself. THAT is part of the Profit Margin of raising beef cattle!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":375lzj9t said:
TREY-L":375lzj9t said:
ERodrig":375lzj9t said:
Trey,
I'm right there with you. I wasn't able to jump into ranching until I turned 32. I've always wanted to do it, just couldn't afford it. Most of my family spent most of their lives working on other peoples land and learned a lot. My grandfather managed a dairy farm and my uncle farms about 10,000 acres, but never for themselves. I finally convinced a friend of mine to invest with me and found an 86 year old man that was willing to sell me a small piece of land (28 acres). I've worked out a plan and this is just the start. I'd like to eventually own at least 1,000 acres. I'm one of those that works 40+ hours a week and then drive for 40 minutes to go check on my cattle and work until the sun goes down. I will do this until my body or God doesn't let me.

Wheeew! I'm glad i'm not the only one! I've always noticed the work doesn't seem near as bad at the end of the day,when the work's done, and your watching the sun go down and it's cooling off, walking with the cows while they are grazing while the calves are running and bouncing and chasing each other.
Trey
-Trey-You are beyond the point of no return! When you find yourself thinking and dreaming about your herd, the calves, the sunsets, the fresh air, the feel of the soil under your feet when you walk on it, the knowledge that you KNOW that that cow is comfortable when she sees you coming toward her, the smell of new grass, fresh cut hay, the sound of a corral gate closing - - you are hooked! Welcome to the World of Comfort and Satisfaction with Yourself. THAT is part of the Profit Margin of raising beef cattle!

DOC HARRIS
So i'm not alone? I havn't lost my mind? I wonder if there are others out there that feel these same things? Maybe we should form some sort of support group!
Thank's DOC, that means alot coming from you.
Trey

TREY-L":3jfdxena said:
Maybe we should form some sort of support group!

There already is a support group. It's walking arund in your pasture

I've combed my hair with a wash cloth since I was around 29, 58 now.

Dick

icandoit":hadvtptz said:
I've combed my hair with a wash cloth since I was around 29, 58 now.

Dick

The same wash cloth? Seems like the nubbys would be worn off by now.

TREY-L":17ns3ogu said:
DOC HARRIS":17ns3ogu said:
TREY-L":17ns3ogu said:
ERodrig":17ns3ogu said:
Trey,

Trey

DOC HARRIS
So i'm not alone? I havn't lost my mind? I wonder if there are others out there that feel these same things? Maybe we should form some sort of support group!
Thank's DOC, that means alot coming from you.
Trey

you must love it to afford it. i guess we are all crazy... and most of us wash our head with a wash cloth *LMAO* donna

Edited: we did not start with cattle or own land or cattle until the last 10 years approx, we are 50ish