Average Age for a Herford

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms":nxqipesw said:
lancemart":nxqipesw said:
How old do Herfords usually live for?
If they wont breed, or Calve, not very long.
Cute.
Hi Lancemart - welcome back.
How's your herd doing?
Hereford cattle should live as long as any of the beef breeds. You can expect a cow to calve & raise a GOOD calf til 10-12 years old. Although there are many that will continue on to a lot older. I shipped an 18 year old that had 17 calves.
Most beef cattle do not die of old age. Like Crowderfarms indicated, they get shipped instead of hanging around to die of old age.

lancemart":yblkyemz said:

The guy that lives down the road from me has several that are 20 yrs old.This year was kind of tough on his herefords, they are getting old and cant raise their calf so he shipped a bunch. I think he has about 3 or 4 left out of his original herd.His last Hereford bull was 10 yrs old then he went angus. I would think 10yrs and then cull for any thing that might arise.JMO JHH

P.S. What is going on with olivia ( I think that was her name) has she had her calf yet? Hang in there if she hasn't. My first reg. heifer didnt calve till 3 yr old not very productive and should have culled her like most would do but she has stayed and has a couple of calves now.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3os6gx7e said:
Crowderfarms":3os6gx7e said:
lancemart":3os6gx7e said:
If they wont breed, or Calve, not very long.
Cute.
Hi Lancemart - welcome back.
How's your herd doing?
Hereford cattle should live as long as any of the beef breeds. You can expect a cow to calve & raise a GOOD calf til 10-12 years old. Although there are many that will continue on to a lot older. I shipped an 18 year old that had 17 calves.
Most beef cattle do not die of old age. Like Crowderfarms indicated, they get shipped instead of hanging around to die of old age.
Very good
Olivia should calf this week or next . She is swollen and very big and doing a lot of heavy breathing.

Latest posts