Ave. Age/wt. of slaghter steers

Help Support CattleToday:

well you wean steers at 6 to 8 months old.an they weigh 500 to 650 then.an you want them to weigh 1200 at butchering.by the time they was 12 to 16 months old.they would be ready to butcher.alot depends on how much feed an hay you give them.if i was feeding 1 out.id give him up to 25lbs of feed a day along with all the hay he can eat.

Youngest would be about 14 months and oldest about 18 months. A lot depends on what your feeding, how heavy and what breed of cattle your feeding it to. Herefords will get soggy on 20 lbs of grain ration, whereas Limo's need 30 lbs just to maintain. I have finished Hereford steers at 1080 lbs to 1300 lbs and seen Simmentals not be properly finished until they hit 1700 to 1800 lbs and soggy Galloway steers that were finished at 950 lbs. :cowboy:

Limis need more to maintain than Herford?? A Limi will wear a herford out converting feed. Limis are some of the best at turning a pound of feed into a pound of red meat. Limi may not gain as much weight a day as a herford but it will gain its weight on less feed per pound.

what?":35bys3xr said:
NOV 07 THRU NOV 08 AVERAGE DRESSED WEIGHT OF 837 LIVE AVERAGE WEIGHT OF 1302.

Where did you get your info? I have a hard time believing that the dressed percentage average was 64% of the live weight. My Red Polls average about 66% and that is the exception not the norm. I think the average would be more like 60%

For ours that we've gotten data back from the feeders on, the weight runs around 1250 - 1400 and the age 13 1/2 - 16 months. That's steers abd heifers combined from half a dozen different feeders over the past 5 years.

The average carcass for slaughter cattle in the USA last week was 784 lbs. A 60 % dressing weight would indicate a live steer slightly over 1300 lbs.
In Canada the avg. carcass was 834 lb. or 1390 live. Alberta Ag site. livestock report.

what?":x7mbizux said:
JOHN I'VE DONE A BIT OF CHECKING THRU PRIOR POSTS IT SEEMS EVERYTIME SOMEONE PROVIDES DIFFERENT FIGURES THAN YOU BELIEVE TO BE CORRECT YOU ALWAYS NEED TO KNOW WHERE THE POSTER HAS GOT HER OR HIS INFO OR DATA. IS THIS BECAUSE YOU BELIEVE YOU COULD NEVER BE WRONG OR IS IT BECAUSE YOU TRUELY WANT TO LEARN?

Cap key stuck?

Here we go again.................

what?":2jl8n7ad said:
grannysoo":2jl8n7ad said:
what?":2jl8n7ad said:
JOHN I'VE DONE A BIT OF CHECKING THRU PRIOR POSTS IT SEEMS EVERYTIME SOMEONE PROVIDES DIFFERENT FIGURES THAN YOU BELIEVE TO BE CORRECT YOU ALWAYS NEED TO KNOW WHERE THE POSTER HAS GOT HER OR HIS INFO OR DATA. IS THIS BECAUSE YOU BELIEVE YOU COULD NEVER BE WRONG OR IS IT BECAUSE YOU TRUELY WANT TO LEARN?

Cap key stuck?

NOPE I CAN READ WHAT I TYPE BETTER THIS WAY WISH ALL OF YOU DID IT.
I WAS CURIOUS IF HE JUST WANTED TO ARGUE OR IF HE REALLY DIDN'T KNOW.

Not wanting to argue just asked where you got your data......you are the one that made a big deal out of a question. Sometimes I like to read the whole article of what some people post on here. No big deal. I won't ask again.

what?":318x134t said:
grannysoo":318x134t said:
what?":318x134t said:

Cap key stuck?

NOPE I CAN READ WHAT I TYPE BETTER THIS WAY WISH ALL OF YOU DID IT.
I WAS CURIOUS IF HE JUST WANTED TO ARGUE OR IF HE REALLY DIDN'T KNOW.

what?, in the world of internet message boards typing in all caps is considered yelling. When folks read the all caps it comes across as brash and loud. You might know this already but in case you didn't I thought I would post it here.

You ever think he may be hard of hearing and can't see. It's called ageing. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts