Available Brands

Help Support CattleToday:

TMountainHigh

Reaction score
Hello, Does anyone know where I can find a list of available brands in Arizona? I have found the Brand Book at the Dept of Agriculture. But I'm looking for brands that currently available & not already registered to someone else. Thanks for any help offered... :)

I could be wrong, but I doubt if there is such a list. Are you just wanting to get some ideas for a brand to register?

Rafter S":1rfsqmly said:
I could be wrong, but I doubt if there is such a list. Are you just wanting to get some ideas for a brand to register?
If it is in the book, then it is registered. Any design that you want to use that is not registered should be available.

Rafter S":tiqaa9zb said:

Has to be a list or the brand system would mean nothing.

Aaron":13q76saw said:
Rafter S":13q76saw said:

There has to be a list of the registered brands, but why does there have to be a list of the ones that aren't?

The way it works for us here in Idaho is that you come up with 6 designs (or less if you'd like). You have to draw them on the sheet, and you rank the brands 1-6. That way if your favorite is taken, you may end up with idea #2. You pay for it for a certain amount of time based on the first letter of your last name. So this year I paid $150 and the brand is mine for 3 years.

If you're really curious to look though a brand book, call your state brand inspector's office. They are probably the best place to start.

Bestoutwest":3hitsq0w said:
The way it works for us here in Idaho is that you come up with 6 designs (or less if you'd like). You have to draw them on the sheet, and you rank the brands 1-6. That way if your favorite is taken, you may end up with idea #2. You pay for it for a certain amount of time based on the first letter of your last name. So this year I paid $150 and the brand is mine for 3 years.

If you're really curious to look though a brand book, call your state brand inspector's office. They are probably the best place to start.

I like our system better. I pay $35 for 5 years, regardless of what the first letter of my last name is :)

After a quick search, I found this, the brand book for AZ. Look thought it and see if the brand you want is taken already. If not, go ahead and apply. My avatar pic is our brand, and I doubt anyone else has one like it ;-)

https://agriculture.az.gov/sites/defaul ... ok2013.pdf

Rafter S":334q5uep said:
Aaron":334q5uep said:
Rafter S":334q5uep said:

There has to be a list of the registered brands, but why does there have to be a list of the ones that aren't?

Oh, your right. I read the OP wrong.

Thank you to everyone who replied :) I really appreciate all the great suggestions. To answer your questions: I personally am not looking to register a brand myself. I was asked to look online to find available brands, for a friend. I've been around cattle my whole life. But never registered for my own brand. I did find a copy of the Brand Book at the Dept of Agriculture's website. But I couldn't find anything regarding existing brands that hadn't been renewed by anyone. And having no personal experience with the subject before... I didn't know if maybe I had missed something? So I thought I'd ask those here, who were more familiar. Before I gave up on my search. So again I thank everyone for their help :) and I will be passing all your info on to my friend.

I also have a registered brand in Idaho , but I pay 50.00 for 5 years , and I used the brand book from my brand inspector , you can use a brand that is the same as someone else but it has to be in a different spot , the other brand like mine I believe is RH for cow or horse where mine is LS cow horse and anywhere sheep , the best is for them to talk to their brand inspector
Suzanne

Here in Washington the monthly news publication from the Cattlemen's Association will regularly have a bunch of unused brands listed. They sort of use it as filler so the number of brands will vary from month to month. I see brands offered for sale in other states. Some of the asking prices are out of this world.

In Texas they're registered per county, by the county clerk, and the price varies according to county. I think Grimes County is about $25.00. And they have to be renewed every year that ends with 1, so the renewal period will vary after you first register it, but after that it's good for 10 years.

Its only $10 to register a brand in Ky for 5 years. You have to look at all the registered brands, to see what is not used. Not very many brands regestered here.

Rafter S":3crun6bk said:

There was a list for 2013, but I'm not sure if there is a current list of available brands.

Latest posts