Auxiliary Fuel Tanks

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Are any of yall running the pumps for an aux fuel tank off the light hook ups in the back of your truck? I haven't looked to see what kind of amps they pull yet.

Any other ideas other than hard wiring it in?

My end goal is to mount the tank on a little trailer with a tool box to keep all the equipment related stuff together, but portable. Guess I could put alligator clamps and just pull the truck up to it when I wanted to pump fuel? Or I thought about just putting a battery box on the trailer with a little solar panel?

Any thought or experiences?

Brute 23":2y429xn8 said:
Are any of yall running the pumps for an aux fuel tank off the light hook ups in the back of your truck? I haven't looked to see what kind of amps they pull yet.

Any other ideas other than hard wiring it in?

My end goal is to mount the tank on a little trailer with a tool box to keep all the equipment related stuff together, but portable. Guess I could put alligator clamps and just pull the truck up to it when I wanted to pump fuel? Or I thought about just putting a battery box on the trailer with a little solar panel?

Any thought or experiences?

I would hard wire(heavy gauge) a dedicated plug straight to battery . That would be equivalent to using alligator clips.

use this kind of connector

images

I use alligator clamps. But we move the tank from truck to truck or put on a trailer. I built lifting rings for the tank and try to move it when it's empty, but I've moved it full before also.

I have a little gel cell battery I think it is about 10 amphours but nice and light and use it for lots of things like my cattle scales, short term use on temp electric fence but I find it goes for ages fueling the tractors, dozer and excavator before requiring a charge yet it is nice and light to move around, very usefull.

We have one on a trailer like you want. Nice for when we are working on a farm away from the main one.

The power line on truck should be #8 or #10, which should be plenty to run a transfer pump.

I would also add leads with alligator clips, for fueling up equipment without the truck hitched. Make them long.

Thanks guys.

It came with some wires already hooked to the pump and an in line fuse. The fuse was only 20A.

I'm leaning toward the alligator clips right now to run off a battery. The tractor batteries are under the step to get the in cab. It would be easy to just plug right on to the tractor while I fill up. I have a small 12V that I can set in the bed of the truck to get me by until the trailer is finished up.

This has been on my wish list for several years now. My dad has shoulder problems and cant hardly handle the 5g cans any more. If I keep messing with them I will probably have shoulder problems too.

On a note of making life easier... I bought several Craftsman 1/2" drive electric impacts for Xmas presents. You can get them for $100-150. They are worth every penny IMO. You can break stuff with the 1/2" drive if you are not careful. They are perfect for changing tires, blades on shredders, spindles, any thing on your equipment you have to work on in the field. I bought some sets of impact sockets from Harbor Freight and have been using it like crazy the last couple days.

Latest posts