Autumn olive leaves

Help Support CattleToday:

Russian olive trees here in the west are considered a weed. Maybe even a noxious weed. That's kind of sad because they grow quickly and provide protection.

What cowgirl said . Wild cherry leaves are toxic in the wilted state . Don't seem to bother them if green and on the tree .

No thorns, thankfully. Russian olive trees have thorns, but so far I don't have to deal with those. Probably just a matter of time.

Actually, some do develop thorns. Some of the lateral twigs of autumn olive will become like spurs. I ran one in my hand before and it was not pleasant .

Hello and ya all have touched on a subject I am a self certified expert;
ANY invasive species is detrimental in a variety of ways. In the late 1800s USA began purchasing plants from China.
Since then, it has been a nightmare. We live in Ohio and across from a state park: I began noticing my pasture and forest becoming almost anemic. Very long story short, I began researching and discovered we were over ran with China plants. Listen closely to this: these plants release toxins in the soil that will destroy your land. Amur honeysuckle and Autumn olive (and many more) have endless negative effects.
Destroy them! I even took an Environmental Science class to learn more and then, took on our state who cleared 100s of acres across the road from us and our neighborhood farms.
Folks: this is serious business. If you would like to know more about the widespread endless dangers of invasive plants I am your gal.
Since we have attacked this issue, our farm has rebounded! I even purchased a chainsaw and together, my husband and I have reclaimed our land.
Glad to be able to share on this site!
Are autumn olive leaves dangerous (when they wilt)

Russian olive trees here in the west are considered a weed. Maybe even a noxious weed. That's kind of sad because they grow quickly and provide protection.
Hello.
Bears break the trees down getting them. Birds have spread them everywhere. None go to waste here animals eat every berry.
For us to like them it will have to frost.on them a few times to get the sugar content high. Then they are very good
Hello.
I encourage everyone to destroy these plants.
I have a long post about invasive plants in general: these are genetically designed to destroy our forests and pastures and are invading America. Their high sugar content are contributing to birds no longer able to finish their migration as they are void in nutrients and protein. Additionally, they release toxins into soil restricting pasture and native tree populations. America: let's stand up for our cattle and land! USA purchased these plants from China and intentionally planted them for "erosion and deer". Eradicate them plz. They actually contribute to erosion because they prevent grasses from growing. I've studied this extensively and even worked with our state who agreed to clear 100s of acres. We cleared ours out: 3 farms down, they've let theirs take over and the difference in pasture and trees between our farms is staggering. Your state is aware of this problem: contact them please.

Our stupid pest weed trees are locust, persimmon, and cedar elm..... I sure hope one of the bad china trees isnt the chinese pistachio.... I love that tree.. It can take the place of every cedar elm it wants...