Automatic waterers

Help Support CattleToday:

I have 3 of the double tank Mirafonts with heaters. Work great but if I were to do it over I would get one of the brands that has the balls or lids that cover the water. Summer moss growth is a problem.......plus water gets very warm just setting out in the sun. No moss growth, if kept out of the sun.

AF Ranch":oft04qxv said:
I have 3 of the double tank Mirafonts with heaters. Work great but if I were to do it over I would get one of the brands that has the balls or lids that cover the water. Summer moss growth is a problem.......plus water gets very warm just setting out in the sun. No moss growth, if kept out of the sun.

I haven't seen Mirafounts without the balls? Have you contacted the company to see if maybe you could add them to your units?? I have a Mirafount but didn't get it heated, wish I had.....

Worked well for you eh? I want to get a Ritchie to start my farm with.

novaman":1my0ekgf said:
I have a couple Richie energy free waters. They have four holes to drink from and there are plastic balls that float in the water to close the tank off when the cattle aren't drinking. They work awesome for me. The balls will sometimes get a little froze up but the cows break them loose on their own, no problem. Of course up here in ND we can get some pretty cold weather so I do have a small heat element in the tank that I can flip on when we get those below zero temperatures and high winds. The only problem I've had is hail busting up the cover as it has gotten a little brittle over the past 15 years from exposure.

I have 5 of the Mirafounts (4 3390's and 1 3465) and couldnt be any more satisfied! I've never had any freeze trouble or cattle training trouble. Plus they have several advantages over the Ritchie. I had some trouble adjusting the valve on the first one I installed and they sent a man from Gallagher out to show me how. The last two I had a man from TN install them for me and didnt have to worry with anything.

We have had a 4-hole Mirafount for 20 years. Didn't have the option for a heater back then. If cattle don't drink out of it for a few days during severe cold, I would need to dip about 5 gallons out. If it did freeze around the valve, you just pour 3-5 gallons of hot water in & it would thaw in a few minutes.
Just installed a 6-hole with a heater. New ones are GREAT. You can completely take the lid & balls off during summer if you want. Super easy to adjust & get to mechanism.
Installation important. Must have earth heat tube (or culvert pipe) & must be placed on concrete.
I sure wouldn't want a metal one because of manure eating it up.

We have a Mirafount and no problems. The cows sure prefer it to drinking from the pond. They walk nearly half a mile twice a day just to fill up on clean water.

We we putting in fences and switching to intensive grazing with five pastures this winter so we will be putting in two more. Just bury the pipes below frost level and make the heat tube hole plent deep as per instructions.

We put ours out in the open away from any trees and leaves and that little float thingy keeps the trash out. Also, I no longer have to retrieve drowned squirrels like I did with the open trough.

On the Mirafounts, when you know that it is going to get real cold, put a little vasiline on the ball. Also the Mirafounts are easy to clean out.

Latest posts