automatic waterer on stock tank

Help Support CattleToday:

jfont

Reaction score
I had a short piece of water hose going to the automatic waterer that kept busting due to the sun and constant pressure. Got tired of waking up or comming home to a water mess, so I had the parts house make me up a 2' hydrolic hose and I found some threaded brass faucet adapters to put on the ends. I'm finishing up my 5th summer without a leak or bust. Money well spent.

jfont":1y4p7pdq said:
I had a short piece of water hose going to the automatic waterer that kept busting due to the sun and constant pressure. Got tired of waking up or comming home to a water mess, so I had the parts house make me up a 2' hydrolic hose and I found some threaded brass faucet adapters to put on the ends. I'm finishing up my 5th summer without a leak or bust. Money well spent.

Pretty pricey solution to a pretty inexpensive problem. Washing machine supply hoses are cheap and I've never had one blow out. We run around 110 psi on some of the water lines.

dun

nrs farm":35z45v5p said:
Camper hoses work too. They are about 10 feet long.

With our pressures and the hose sitting in the sun I had a couple of those come apart at the couplers, that's when we went to washer hoses. Of course the verdict isn't in on how long they'll last, some of them have only been in use for 7 years so far

dun

Where the hell were you guys a couple of yrs ago when I kept busting hoses and finally just trenched up the lines and ran pvc pipe to all the watering troughs??? Guess now I can at least use the washing machine hoses to connect from the elbow to the float. I am using a quick disconnect now but they sometimes stick and I am always afraid I am gonna break the pvc pipe if I push too hard trying to break loose the quick disconnect.

eric":19bdt3hz said:
Where the be nice were you guys a couple of yrs ago when I kept busting hoses and finally just trenched up the lines and ran pvc pipe to all the watering troughs??? Guess now I can at least use the washing machine hoses to connect from the elbow to the float. I am using a quick disconnect now but they sometimes stick and I am always afraid I am gonna break the pvc pipe if I push too hard trying to break loose the quick disconnect.

The washing machine hose was posted a couple of years ago on here.
We run a lot of above ground polypipe to get to some of the back areas. Hooking it up the underground pipe and including a shutoff valve never really worked well. Too many joints, sometimes it would still freeze at one point or another even if I thought I had all of the water out of it. The main breakage happened right at the valve. Now to supply the poly I have freeze rpoof hydraunts and a washer hose. When I'm done for the year with those back fields I just turn off the water at the hydraunt and take off the washer hose then open the taps on the plypipe all along the line to the end.

dun

Don't forget you have to use a nipple with hose threads and not pipe threads for the washing machine hoses. I like the hoses with the pipe elbow on one end if I can get the tank close enough to the fence. I tighten it down with the pipe sticking thru the fence and the critters can't get to it as easy.Z

I like the washing machine hose idea. Din't think of it at the time. The hyd. hose ran me about 25 bucks, probably a little steeper than a washer hose, but I was fed up. I got in my truck, went to town, and was determined to come home with something that wouldn,t give out.

Pretty pricey solution to a pretty inexpensive problem. Washing machine supply hoses are cheap and I've never had one blow out. We run around 110 psi on some of the water lines.

dun[/quote]

Latest posts