Automatic transmission

Help Support CattleToday:

G&L Cattle

Reaction score
We recently purchased a 1997 f250 Powerstroke diesel. Its great! It has an automatic transmission. Can someone give me advise on how to prevent transmission problems? Such as shifting hints, maintainence,ect. I dont use it everyday, but its always pulling a load. thanks Glen

G&L Cattle":xnl967mv said:
We recently purchased a 1997 f250 Powerstroke diesel. Its great! It has an automatic transmission. Can someone give me advise on how to prevent transmission problems? Such as shifting hints, maintainence,ect. I dont use it everyday, but its always pulling a load. thanks Glen

Put a 5 speed in it.

Had my automatic on the shop floor 4 times, jasper claimed we abused it. It was a heavy duty auto tranny. Jasper backed out of their end. We bought a truck for parts and put the clutch and tranny in mine. Best move we could have made. I don't like to walk!!!

We have a '01 F-350 dually 4X4 with an automatic. Put 18,000 miles and 2 transmissions in it. The first time it went out I had a kid take 5 bulls in for BSE (Breeding soundness exam) testing and I think he drove the hills in overdrive. It pulls anything if you put it in Low Range and take off in 1st gear. THen I had a "chip" put in for more power when hauling a full load of girls up and down hills. Well, tranny went out again, just lost over drive, and drive this time. The shop voided the warranty due to me having a chip installed. He said it creates more power then the transmission can handle.

Add a trans fluid cooler and a temp gauge.

keep the fluid clean, changed annually.

I also added a "shift kit" mine was a manual kit that in creased the fluid pressure and made the shifts firmer.

Alex

My truck has a factory fluid cooler. Is this sufficient?

I pull with overdrive off. Should I shift manually? Does it matter?

The fluid looks red and clean. When should I service it?

Is there a way to make both rear wheels pull together when traction is a p
problem? (braking ect.)

Thanks for your help! Glen

G&L Cattle":2m2bu2bx said:

Ford recomends changing and flushing the tranny fluid at 36,000 mile intervals. I have always changed mine at 30.000 never had any problems, and I am on the second one now.

I had to back flush mine twice in 3 years. It started 'clunking' when it shifted. NEVER -EVER pull a trailer with overdrive ON. ALWAYS turn it off. The tranny can't handle pulling in overdrive, it will put you in the shop in no time. I chipped mine and it helped on the MPG but not a lot on the pulling power.

I just traded my automatic in on a 6 speed - I love it so much more. I will never go back (until I get old and can't shift anymore :lol: )

With regard to both rear wheels spinning, you should be able to check the door jam to see if it has a limited slip rearend or not. On the build plate it should say Axle with either 2 numbers (ie 39) or a letter and a number (ie C5). If my memory serves me right if it has a letter then the truck came with limited slip. The number has to do with the gearing (4 is 3.73, 5 is 4.10, 9 is 3.54). For example C5 is a limited slip with 4.10 gears. Different letters and first numbers have to do with different axles.

My father has a 93 ford diesel with the auto behind a 7.3 with an aftermarket turbo, it had some transmission troubles before he got it but now with a shift kit and an added cooler it works well. His biggest complaint is not having enough gears for the hills.

-Mike