Auto Insurance

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
Three weeks ago I bought a new broadcast seeder. On the way home I had to make a hard stop. The seeder broke loose and slid forward and broke the rear window of my truck. I filed a claim with my insurance company. The claims agent in another state, told me all was well not to worry. He ask me where I would like to take my pickup for repairs. I told him I would go to Dodge unless he knew of a reputable glass shop in my area that would be equal. The agent suggested a local shop that they did business with. I was told as an added benefit that the shop would come to my farm and do the glass installation. The insurance rep. set up the appointment and that was that. When the repair man arrived, he informed me that the glass and frame was different than the factory issue, and the frame and design was generic, not specifically maid to fit my truck. I told him that I would go to Dodge and he could cancel the repairs. He then said he would order the correct Dodge parts but I would have to pay him the difference. I sent him away and called my insurer. I am waiting for them to return my call. Kathy and I have never had a claim of any kind or traffic tickets in over eight years. We honestly do not drive very much. How would you handle this type of problem? Tom. :???: :???: :( :( :(

Any time I ever had a claim I paid the deductable and the glass people billed the rest to the insurance company and recieved payment from the insurance company.

I would send this guy packing and take it to dodge. Sounds to me like him and your insurance company are under the sheets together...

Last year a tree branch fell on my truck and broke the windshield . I called my insurance and they told me to call who ever I wanted and that I had a $250 deductible . I looked in the phone book and called a place that comes out and it was $235 so I had to pay it myself . I called on a friday and monday around noon he was here and replaced it and did a good job .

1982 vett, grannysoo, Shorty, you are all correct. That is the way I expected the transaction to go. However it didn't. We are insured with The Hartford Insurance Co. through AARP. I called the insurance co this morning because they did not return my previous call as promised,(not a good sign). They told us that our policy had been changed to the Alabama policy for Alabama residents, which we are. With the Alabama policy in force and your vehicle is over three years old the insurance company is only legally obligated to install the less expensive after market glass. I told the Hartford spokesman that I was told by the glass company rep. that the glass they wanted to install was generic and did not properly fit my truck. The Ins.Rep, said let them install it then take them to small claims court. I asked him where that was printed in my master policy. He did not know. I know how I am going to handle this problem. HOW WOULD YOU HANDLE IT. Tom :( :(

The first thing I owuld do is change insurance and cancel my AARP membership. The insurance because obviously they're screwing with you and AARP because they are on of the most anti-gun organizations in existence.
As far as the glass, I would suck it up, pay to have the good stuff put in and write it off as an expensive leason learned

dun":3fx2uzxs said:
The first thing I owuld do is change insurance and cancel my AARP membership. The insurance because obviously they're screwing with you and AARP because they are on of the most anti-gun organizations in existence.
As far as the glass, I would suck it up, pay to have the good stuff put in and write it off as an expensive leason learned

Dun, I'm with you on AARP. I cancelled with them yrs. ago. Their positions on most issues never seemed to square up with mine.

Maybe, something like going to your local insurer and have him explain your policy in detail in order to make sure you didn't missunderstand your coverage. Most likley would start the search for a new insurer if the policy is that vague to interpertation. After new insurance is in place and inforce (look out of 30 day delays in coverage clauses) letter to cancel the old policy, letter and copy of policy with complaint to your local Better Business Bureau and maybe state insurance board. Maybe copies your Senator, Representative, State Senator and Representative if you really get mad. AARP can take a flying leap also.

I am in agreement with all of you. And Dunn, that was exactly my remedy. Funny thing happened this morning after my conversation with the Ins Co. The fella from the Insurance Company that promised to call back yesterday called. He was kind and wanted to know how he could help me. I told him that nothing has changed since I talked to you this morning. He said his name was Chad and that he did not talk to me this morning, and wanted me to bring him up to speed. I told him my story and he said it was ridiculous for any one to expect me to accept generic glass that does not fit my truck no matter how old it was and that is not their company policy. He told me that he was going to investigate and get back to me. He told me to take my truck anywhere I chose, and mail him the invoice and the insurance co. would cut me a check. He gave me his fax number and name. I am still not sure what is going on but when I file a claim I do not want to talk about it, I want it fixed. Go figgure. As they say "CaCa Pasa". Tom

I have Hartford ins. and never had any problems, they also have the best rate for me.
A friend of mine has a body shop he says Hartford and Farm Bureau have been the best to deal with.
AARP hasn't got me to give up my guns either.

UPDATE. I took my Dodge to a local glass shop that replaced the windshield in my Crown Vic. He told me that he would have to special order the glass from Dodge. The glass shop called, I took the truck in and they replaced the window with the factory glass. It looks great. I faxed the billing to the Ins. Co. and today received a check less $100. deductable. The problem was not The Hartford. The problem was the slick glass shop owner.
Tom.

kerley":1rwwf5p4 said:
The agent suggested a local shop that they did business with. I was told as an added benefit that the shop would come to my farm and do the glass installation.

kerley":1rwwf5p4 said:
the Ins. Co. and today received a check less $100. deductable. The problem was not The Hartford. The problem was the slick glass shop owner.

grannysoo":1rwwf5p4 said:
I would send this guy packing and take it to dodge. Sounds to me like him and your insurance company are under the sheets together...

Like Grannysoo said, seems as there is a common denominator there are actually two problems here. Agent and and glass shop bandit. Probably golfing buddies. Don't you just love golf!?

My wife who was a Auto Insurance Adjuster for 16 yrs says agents are the worst people in the insurance industry and the agents were her biggest headache because they don'tknow what is and isn't covered and they give customers incorrect info all the time .

She has been out of the Bus. for 2 yrs and she said the problem now is they are hiring college kids with no experience as adjusters and not training them correctly so Customer service from adjusters has fallen also

All I did last time (Ibacked through a barbedwire fence) was call the sompany, got one estimate, took some pictures and emailed and faxed the stuff to the insurance company quick response adjusters. A week later I got a check for everything shy the deductible.

cfpinz":2lrjaecl said:
dun":2lrjaecl said:
All I did last time (Ibacked through a barbedwire fence)

In the pimpmobile?

Yup, backing up on the side of a sloped manure pile in the rain really screws up the traction (and direction the back end stays pointed).

We've had two incidents with auto glass in the past year. One, a tree limb fell on my truck and cracked the windshield and bent the top of my truck. Chevy body shop took care of everything but when I picked up the truck it had the wrong windshield in it. The body shop writter asked me how I could tell it was wrong. Well, the original windshield was tinted and this one wasn't. It had a bunch of "dots" at the top where the tinting goes. OK, so we will "have to order a new windshield" which was what they should have done in the first place. Chez guys, I'm old but not stupid. Why would someone think they could get away with something so obviously wrong.

Then we had to replace the wife's glass in her new Envoy. Same thing, same glass company, same dealership, same insurance company but the problem wasn't the insurance company. Long story short, we're changing dealerships and glass company.

Earl, Thats what they do. They install the less expensive glass and bill the Insurance Co for the factory (more expensive) glass. It is a scam and you need to let your insurance co know about their dealings.
Tom

Latest posts