Austrian Winter Peas and Winter Oats

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":2wzgtztg said:
That's fantastic! Even makes me hungry. :tiphat:
:oops: I thought it was just me. Glad to find out I'm not the only one that looks at forage thru the eyes of a cow. :D

We've been growing these for about 5 yrs. now, they don't yield what I would like but they more than make up for it in quality. The added nitrogen for the summer crop of ProMax BMR is a plus as well.

Thanks for the replies.

Sizmic

Planted in early Sept. in hopes of getting a cutting but the hurricane was just a big puff of wind. I suspect that only about 3/4 's of the seed survived.

Sizmic

Are those varieties winter hardy here in central Missouri? I grow hybrid pearl millet every year but it goes south at the first killing frost. Early last fall, I worked up a 4 acre pasture and tossed in a 5 pound bag of Austrian Winter Peas into the seed/fertilizer mixture. Just to see how they would do. I found several of them sprouted later on and doing well. Of course you aren't going to see them often at that seeding rate. When I walked the pasture a few weeks ago, I didn't notice any of them. In all fairness though, there was a notorious "Sheep Break" which should have made the national news. It seems that the sheep managed to make it through the poor excuse of a section of fence, to call the fence a good bluff would be quite the exaggeration. At any rate, I have no Austrian Peas anymore, and my new pasture is quite short now.

EDIT: Duh. I confused the winter oats with another post I saw earlier about Tiff millet. Sorry

Looks great, hope you get it in dry.

Couple years ago I planted what was called a "deer mix" on some old refurbished hog pens. It had oats, wheat, winter pea, and vetch in the mix. Cows loved the hay.

I'm not going to bale it dry, Haylage is the way to go with this stuff.

Sizmic

What planting rates did you use? It looks like there are a lot of peas in there compared to what I've seen in neighbors fields. I would think your forage quality would be considerably better with a higher level of peas. Do you have any issues with differing maturities between the two? I'm not familiar with winter oats or the Austrian peas, but I've been told in general that oats and peas don't reach the proper stage of maturity to get optimal yield while keeping a respectable level of quality. Either the oats is ready and the peas aren't or vice versa (can't remember which it is). Do you put it up as dry hay or do you chop and ensile it? A local dairyman usually uses barley and peas and ensiles it. Claims it makes a great feed with exceptional palatability.

I would post more pictures but the site won't let me for some reason. I cut today and found some 6' vines in the bottom ground.

I planted a bag of each to the acre. As far as the maturity of each the peas make seed later which I think is ideal. I cut when the oats are in the dough so the peas have some carbs to ensile properly. The peas are about half bloom and haven't begun to produce a pod yet, I think this would be the optimum time for the highest quality. Someone out there probably knows more about this than me but my cows really like them and the RFV is @ 160, TDN 65-70, CP @ 16%. Thats all I know to tell you about the quality.

I don't know why it won't let me post anymore pictures, the oats were in the dough today and I started cutting. It's gonna turn out some serious tonnage.

Sizmic

Sizmic,

are you planting ProMax BMR again this summer? how did it work last year?

we just planted some last weekend.

Latest posts