Australian Wildlife Photos

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
I posted this on another forum, and I thought people here might be interested too. Some of these were taken in the wild, some of them at wildlife parks.

Kangaroos

Kangaroo.JPG

Goanna

Goanna.JPG

Echidna

Echidna.jpg

Sulfur Crested Cockatoo

Cockatoo.jpg

Black Swans

Black_swan.jpg

Wallaby

Wallaby_2_.jpg

Brush tail possum

Possum1.jpg

Seagull

Seagull.jpg

Tasmanian Devil

Tasmanian_devil_3_.jpg

Stick insect

Stick_insect.jpg

Ostriches - although these are farmed ones we also get wild ones, farmed and wild emus too, which are pretty similar

Ostrich_1.jpg

Ostrich_2.jpg

Ostrich_3.jpg

Kookaburra

P9160550.JPG

Magpie - I raised this guy from a fledgling - he came out of the nest too early and his parents abandoned him (thats my mum holding him).

Magpie_2.JPG

Different kookaburra

Kookaburra_1_.JPG

Koala

Koala_1_.jpg

Koala.jpg

Koala_4_.jpg

Another roo

Kangaroo_10_.jpg

I like the koala. What about the tasmanian devil? Are they really mean or what is the story with them?

Keren":q58kj8o6 said:
Jogee, yeah they have a real nasty mouth full of teeth ... take your hand off if you're not careful.

It looks like some type genetics experiment that went haywire. Kinda like a rat x kangaroo x muskrat

What do they eat? Are they like rodents or are they hunter?

we had an emu show up at the pasture one day. he thought he was a cow. lol.
but nice pictures! but what is that Echidna thing exactly?? is it like a hedgehog or a porcupine?

It must be neat seeing animals like that around. Do you see animals like that often or is it just occasional? My brother was offered a job in Australia with Valmet. I would have jumped on it had I been him but he didn't want to leave home.

If you were lucky or unlucky you could see some of the listed animals in our part of the world. Kangaroos and Wallabies are very common. Goannas are about as are echidnas. Echidnas are very clever they can burrow into extremely hard ground with their small claws. They roll themselves up into a ball with their spines protruding. You don't evre want to run over an echidna on the road. They will puncture car tyres. We get koalas,kookaburras and magpies here as well as cockatoos (although generally cockatoos don't belong in our area,they are found by the millions out west in the grain growing areas and the drier parts, they came here with the galahs when it was drought stricken out west. they love our rain and climate so they stayed.)
We don't get Tasmanian Devils. They belong in Tassy. A little story that will give you the creeps. Following the Port Arthur killings near Hobart Tasmania (35 innocent people were killed there by an idiot) Guards had to be stationed near each body till the coroners came so the Tasmanian Devils didn't get to touch the bodies. Possums are common,they often eat my father in laws vegies.
Thanks for posting the pictures.
Thankfully my brakes worked well on my new car the other morning whilst off to work. A mob of roos thought they would like to go across the road as I went past two went across the other 10 stayed there after I'd stopped.They can do a lot of damage to a car and have caused many deaths over years because of drivers swerving to avoid them.
Colin

Jogeephus":3bldhx81 said:
It must be neat seeing animals like that around. Do you see animals like that often or is it just occasional? My brother was offered a job in Australia with Valmet. I would have jumped on it had I been him but he didn't want to leave home.

I guess it depends on your area and also what sort of livestock. We get roos by the hundreds - every evening look out the back door there are about 40 - 50 not more than twenty meters away. I put one in the freezer not last night the night before. Also rabbits are everywhere, cockatoos, galahs, magpies and possums. I guess you see all those more than once a day. Maybe every second or third day I see a goanna, kookaburras the same. Echidnas maybe every few weeks. Koalas never around here. And obviously I only see tassie devils when I am in tassie, which is not often enough for my liking!

Yeah, I guess its whatever you get used to. I see turkeys, coons, deer, quail, possums, armadillos regularly. We have a few panthers but these really rare. I've spent the last 20 years mapping sightings of these extraordinary animals for the heck of it. Seeing animals like you see would utterly thrill me to no end - at least for a while. Thanks for posting them they are neat.

Keren":28yes0cy said:
Jogee they are scavengers, I think they will hunt small prey a little too. They are marsupials.

Tori, yeah he's kinda like your porcupine.

ok. it looks like an aardvark porcupine cross. :D

Australian":6px73sca said:
We see the occasional platypus on our country down to our east off the mountain.
They are nice little mammals. But look out for their spur on their hind legs.
Colin

I watched an educational show about those. Didn't know they had venom. They said it was awefully painful too.

Jogeephus":31967xh4 said:
Australian":31967xh4 said:
We see the occasional platypus on our country down to our east off the mountain.
They are nice little mammals. But look out for their spur on their hind legs.
Colin

I watched an educational show about those. Didn't know they had venom. They said it was awefully painful too.

i learn something new everyday!! thats strange... i had no idea they had venom.

Keren those were great photo's thanks for sharing. My cousin who lives in Darwin told me she has problems with possum in the loft, chewing the electric wires. She asks me to go out and visit but I am put off by the funnel webs that are around. I hate creepy crawlies.

Don't be a scaredy cat Chrisy.You will love Australia. I can't ever remember seeing a funnel web spider. Get a few white tail spider bites through our ED though. They can be more of a problem. They won't kill you but leave a nasty sore for a long time. Australia isn't as dangerous or scarey as some people make out (usually those from overseas). I'd rather be walking through the middle of Australia with the King Brown snakes than walking through some parts of London or Sydney. We live in a beautiful country.
Colin

Latest posts