hereford-cow.jpg

ld172_nov_07_20cm_web.jpg

ld18_archive_10cm_bw_web.jpg

m396_12cm_web.jpg

m454_calf_m740_07_20cm_web.jpg

m459_07_20cm_web.jpg

mt5_archive_15cm_web.jpg

v94_07_20cm_web.jpg

Thanks for posting these Carla, but I am sure the attack was aimed more at Autralian (as in Colin) and the posters wanted to see Australian's cattle (as in Colin's cattle) than at Australian (the country) cattle.

Like I said in the thread that started all this, different markets require different approaches, there is no global solution for all possible scenarios.

I believe some of these photos are very much outdated as I see types there that typically aren't being bred anymore today, except for a handfull of herds in the UK.

Not sure what 'attack' you're referring to as I haven't been checking in regularly here??
I just thought people may be interested to see what we've got down here give the amount of Herefords posted lately and also, from what I've seen, the lack of quality in them.
There is only one 'outdated' photo here, which is not quite 20years old, and that's the black and white one. The rest are all quite recent I assure you.

The only criticism I have would be the udders on some of these cows. (Teat placement, length, and size.)

Killala":frjlytca said:
Not sure what 'attack' you're referring to as I haven't been checking in regularly here??
I just thought people may be interested to see what we've got down here give the amount of Herefords posted lately and also, from what I've seen, the lack of quality in them.
There is only one 'outdated' photo here, which is not quite 20years old, and that's the black and white one. The rest are all quite recent I assure you.

I felt there was an attack also on I Luv Herfords bull #2 post by Colin. He did not comment on the bull as much as make unnessary comments in general terms. If he would have stated what it was about the bull he disliked it would have been much more helpful, rather than a rude "hit and run". I think she (I Luv Herefords) was asking to see his cattle not the country's cattle.

With that said I'm glad you posted pics of both bulls and cows, I have of late held my critical tongue in favor of shuting up and learning. I was very impressed with bull #2 in the other post. I'll hold my tongue on the cows, but as it was pointed out some udders are questionable... so with another closer look I agree about the udders on a couple of the cows.

Thanks for posting the pics.
Alan

those are some fine looking cows.i can tell from the pics that they are the old style herefords.by their big baggs an teats.

As none of these cows are mine I have no interest in them. I'd agree that some of their udders aren't the most desirable, BUT, bear in mind most of these cows are older matrons, having already raised a number of calves.

One thing I've learnt over the years is that you can't have everything, there's got to be some give when selecting animals. That is why when looking at these cows, I think they're pretty good examples of their breed. If I were to be picky I could find several faults in most of the cows, however, one thing almost all of them have in common is that they are long, deep, feminine, structurally correct, productive cows. They've proven they can raise calves. They have adequate milk and teats that a calf can get hold of, and they're also holding their own.

While there's a lot of green in most of the pics, I've seen firsthand the country the cows run on and trust me, it's not like that all the time!

They're hardy cows that raise a good calf year in year out - what more can you ask for??

Thanks Carla.
There are lots of good quality Hereford females here in Australia. Never fear board posters I will get some photos of our cattle up here for you. I give credit for good cattle but I'm sorry if I offended anyone. But there have been some very ordinary Herefords posted and for me to say they are great is a fib.
Colin

#1 Nice square pair, legs are a concern.
#2 More muscle in the butt needed.
#3 A by gone era.
#4 Bag is a concern.
#5 Bag can sunburn easily.
#6 much better.
#7 Looks funnel butted.
#8 More muscle.

Herefords.US":5jj29biy said:
Give me a pasture full like # 5 and #6. I'll take their fat, growthy calves and leave the udder tweaking to the nitpickers.

George
KNERSIE":5jj29biy said:
I agree George, I'll even be so nice to take 2 and 8 as well.

We may have a fight on our hands here, I'll take # 6 and # 8

Latest posts