Aureomycin preventing pinkeye?

Help Support CattleToday:

circlet

Reaction score
I've had a tough year this year with pinkeye. Someone who I consider one of the two or three best cattlemen in the world (in MY world that is :) ) told me that Aureomycin helps incredibly in preventing pinkeye - he runs 600 Herefords, has had only 5 cases so far this year, and one of them was on an Angus bull. Just curious what the board's opinion of this is? I've already begun supplementing it because I trust everything this guy tells me, just thought I'd float it out here and see what people's take on the information is.

I would never dispute " the best cattleman in the world ", but I think that is not an effective way to try to solve your problem . I brought back a thread called "Can we talk" . Read that and think about it, maybe discuss what you read with your mentor and your vet and come up with a startegy .

Larry

i appreciate you showing me that thread, i like learning as much as i can about problems like this - what i gathered most from that post is that i do not have fly rubs, which may be a needed addition. But to clarify my question...does anyone have any experience or opinion on Aureomycin helping prevent pinkeye? I think it's a hard question to quantify, because aureo isn't really considered a pinkeye prevention but more of an anaplasmosis prevention. I'm not a vet or scientist, but i know sometimes medicines sometimes have unexpected side-effects and maybe this is one of them...?

"best cattleman in (my) world" was obviously a tongue-in-cheek remark by the way, but he's a friend who i've learned a ton from, i'm blessed enough to have a few cattlemen in my life who (compared to me), know "everything" and are willing to share it with me. which is also why i like this board most of the time. I think people on here are pretty good about trying to help each other out - but i'd NEVER post a picture of a bull to be critiqued! :)

We feed minerals with CTC (Chlortetracycline) which I thinki is the generic name for Aureomycin. We don;t have pinkeye problems, but others feeding CTC have. It may help, but there are multiple ways that should be addressed to prevent pinkeye.

circlet":2qbuu0lf said:
I've had a tough year this year with pinkeye. Someone who I consider one of the two or three best cattlemen in the world (in MY world that is :) ) told me that Aureomycin helps incredibly in preventing pinkeye

Vaccination benefit is very iffy due to the number of strains out there.
Research says CTC reduces cases about 50%...
Environment is a factor - - flies, tall forage, stress...

Basically you need to move the cattle to a place with better feed and fewer flies.

TNMasterBeefProducer":2lrvcyix said:
If this is the case then how come when I clipped my pastures, fed ctc, and controlled the flies I would still have some cases of pinkeye? However, when I clipped my pastures, controlled the flies, and vaccinated for pinkeye I have not had a case since?

It's like the line from Little Big Man, "Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn;t".
Friends of ours had a few cases of pinkeye each year so they decided to vaccinate. After 2 years of having a pinkeye epidemic they quit vaccinating and they have only had an occasional case since, that's been 5 years.

TNMasterBeefProducer":1k3u7swg said:
First

If they do get pinkeye my treatment regimen is as follows and usually knocks it out in one go.
1. 5cc of evaporated milk injected (old trick vet showed me)
2. squirt 5 cc la-200 from a needless syringe into the eye itself
3. give 20-55 cc LA-200 depending on weight
4. if it is a really bad case give 5cc banamine

regarding #2, you're not talking about injecting into the 3rd eyelid like you might penicillin, you're talking about just squirting some la-200 into the eye right? i usually put some puffer on, but i thought next time i might try this instead? so it doesn't hurt to get the la-200 on/in the eye and it helps clean out the infection?

Thanks for the tips

Latest posts