August Weather?

Help Support CattleToday:

Devin

Reaction score
It sure doesn't feel like August in West KY. It was 50 degrees this morning. I don't ever remember wearing a jacket in August until today. It's been this way for a few days. Looks like the fescues coming out of the summer slump! Are any of yo getting this cool stuff?

Here in Ohio we have done good to get to 70 during the day. Got up at 6 this morning and it was only 51. On the flip side the weaned calves are eating really well!!

45 this morning supposed to hit 70 today. Been like it a week and expect it to be about 10 degrees warmer for the next week

dun

Here in Houston it was nice yesterday, got up to 91, which is better then last week it was 99 with 100% humidity. Felt like 106 I think is what it said on the radio. Our yard is brown, we have to water almost every day but the pastures are doing nicely, just go t through shredding last weekend. We could use some rain now.

In was about 53 here this morning. It is unreal. I couldn't stay inside last night. I went up to the pasture and sat with the girls. I don't think the got as big a kick out of the meteor shower as I did though. We are supposed to crowd 80 this afternoon.

I'll take August weather like this anytime.

I have a question for y'all oldtimers. Is a cool summer like this any indicator of a cold winter or not?

JB

What happened to all the global warming? It was in the 50's in northeast Oklahoma this morning.

Sure makes it hard to go to the day job.

I believe we are seeing the effects of Global Warming???
We are near all time lows every night, and warming to all time low high temps every day. 40's expected tonight,
I'm not complaining as we have mostly cool season grasses.

I'm lookin for snow in September ;-)

Hillbilly

A few weeks back when it really was hot for a short spell, I dropped the blades on the lawn mower to the scalp position to insure the grass would die and I would be through mowing for the year. This cool weather and the rain have the yard almost ready to cut, rake, and bale. Dang! Another great plan shot down!

No doubt about it.. much cooler here in Central Texas than I've ever seen it. We've only had one day so far at 100 degrees, and this morning it was 63. I think we broke a record.

We've also had record rainfall.. over 33 inches so far, and our average is only 28 for the year.

I'll take it though! The cows look great.. the grass is long, etc. And I do believe we're going to have an early winter.

Southeast Louisiana...oldtimers say they have never seen this...56 this morning...they say it will get to low 50's saturday morning....does this mean a colder winter?

Please people...NOT an early winter winter...lol. I don't do cold!

Our weather in Texas Panhandle has also been unseasonably cool and rainy for July & August, excusing a week or so herre and there of 90+ temps. We've had 1-3" of rain at our location several times since June. Pastures are looking great. Figure I've saved close to $1,000 on hay this year so far. Cattle hardly touch the dry brown hay...lol. We did do several weeks of overhead irrigation last 3 months though, between rainy weather.

Nights past week or so been 60's, days 70-80 range. Love it! Cattle & horses looking good on pasture & minerals only!

DRB":6fqpsabg said:
Southeast Louisiana...oldtimers say they have never seen this...56 this morning...they say it will get to low 50's saturday morning....does this mean a colder winter?

Supposed to be in high 50's here Sat AM.
About 150 to 160 mi West of you. Of course you are will have Lake Ponchartrain helping to cool you off too.

FREAKIN' WEIRD! The Ice Age is here! I sat with a flannel shirt on this morning drinking my coffee at sunrise on the front deck...at 58 degrees...in central Texas! It's supposed to be over a hundred every day for days on end here. We had a high of just 90. We set an all time record low for August. The animals are freaking out too. I turned off the A/C and opened windows last night. Unheard of til about October. Almost scary. Since I don't live far, far away up north in the Texas Panhandle, winters are not a bother (we don't really have them). But this strange August cold front makes me wonder! My Great Pyrenees nice slick (for their breed) Texas summer coats are growing and I sure think it's too early for that! They have been Texas bred for so many generations that they have already made coat adaptations! I better go ahead and plant my fall garden a bit early... I was going to wait, but better not.

Looks to be a very hard winter on the way, last time I seen August like this was summer 72. Winter of 72 was kick butt cold we had single digit temps that winter and snow. Thats super cold for SE Texas, hope you got plenty of hay up could be real expensive this winter. I'm hedging my bet on hay this year as I'm not selling any.

I better go ahead and plant my fall garden a bit early... I was going to wait said:
TCW I would request that you not plant because as soon as you do it will turn hot again and this cool spell has been just to nice :)

Campground Cattle":1u2pkqef said:
I'm hedging my bet on hay this year as I'm not selling any.

Good idea, Campground. Later on in the winter, you can always buy some $1200 springers to eat it up for you! :shock:

Texan":z4djl57e said:
Campground Cattle":z4djl57e said:
I'm hedging my bet on hay this year as I'm not selling any.

Good idea, Campground. Later on in the winter, you can always buy some $1200 springers to eat it up for you! :shock:

Thats a little rich for us small potatoe operations hoping to buy much cheaper at the sale barn. Hay is short in our area this year couldn't cut rained for months. When we finally got in the hayfields the rain has stopped not really looking for another cutting. I have four hay fields usually two will supply us keeping all four. Our coastal field cuts ten to twelve rolls per acre fertilized, this year six, my big Bahia field 18 acres around 70 rolls this year 32. We were unable to fertilize this spring due to we couldn't get into the fields until late July just to wet.

Very cool here too in the St. Louis area...down in the 50's at night for over a week and 70's as a high..the whole summer has had cool periods. The news said we had a year like this in 54..and that the mild weather lasted until winter...I too am feeling like i should be expecting snow in Sep.

Use to be as soon as school started the weather got cold...it sure is a strange year... like everyone else said the cows seem to be enjoying it:) donna

Current Conditions for Vero Beach, FL (32966)
87°F
Partly Cloudy
Feels Like 97°F
UV Index: 6 High
Dew Point: 76°F
Humidity: 69%
Visibility: 10.0 miles
Pressure: 30.10 inches and steady
Wind: From the East Northeast at 8 mph

Did you say cool for August?

hillbilly":so5hy824 said:
I believe we are seeing the effects of Global Warming???
We are near all time lows every night, and warming to all time low high temps every day. 40's expected tonight,
I'm not complaining as we have mostly cool season grasses.

I'm lookin for snow in September ;-)

Hillbilly

Here in Australia we belive in Global Warming --most of the eastern part of Australia has been in drought for the last 3 years, experiencing some of the driest months since recording started --of course, thats only about 200 years here. We would love to have some of your rain