Auction video from Oct 19, 2018

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
Spent the day at the auction mart. Sale weights for our calves were okay, had a small pen at 776, a nice pen at 698, this larger pen at 637, another smaller pen at 577, and 8 late steers at 499. Happy with how we did on the day, a little disappointed that the market has slipped the last while.
I'd never taken a video of my calves coming through before but thought I'd try to capture this bunch.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/aljAZtdA1Yo[/youtube]

My good friend Peter at the Mike. A true gentleman and a damn good purveyor of cattle!

Those calves sold really good for the week Silver.

gcreekrch":3kpdnyj4 said:
My good friend Peter at the Mike. A true gentleman and a be nice good purveyor of cattle!

Peter does seem like a real gentleman, just met him this year since he took over management of this auction yard. It's actually Yancy selling this lot, they both do a good job.
I was definitely happy with the price considering the market. Mr. Parker wanted them and wasn't to be denied.

Congrats. Breeding & raising quality calves is an accomplishment to be proud of...frosting on the cake when buyers acknowledge it.
Breed of those dandy calves?

Well done, nice facilities there. Ours get sold from their holding pens and the buyers move from pen to pen with the auctioneer on a cat walk.

Ken

5S Cattle":1z9qarjz said:
I'm confused at how that auction worked. Did they buy every one of the calves at 1550/per?
Unless I misunderstand they weighed 637 and brought 115.50 per lb. $735.74 per head but im pretty sure thats Canadian dollars.

kenny thomas":3iik787b said:
5S Cattle":3iik787b said:
I'm confused at how that auction worked. Did they buy every one of the calves at 1550/per?
Unless I misunderstand they weighed 637 and brought 115.50 per lb. $735.74 per head but im pretty sure thats Canadian dollars.

$2.155 CAD, or $1.64 USD per pound.

76 Bar":2156lawc said:
Congrats. Breeding & raising quality calves is an accomplishment to be proud of...frosting on the cake when buyers acknowledge it.
Breed of those dandy calves?

Thanks. They are crossbred mutts, bulls are mostly high percentage Simmie with some RA thrown in, cow herd still has a strong Blonde d'Aquitaine influence, but a little less every year by virtue of retaining heifers from the aforementioned bulls.

Silver":16mto0fg said:
kenny thomas":16mto0fg said:
5S Cattle":16mto0fg said:

Another reason I hate auctioneers... I didn't get that out of that at all.

There's a screen up there showing the current bid.

Very nice set of calves. My auctioneer is usually Wayne Jordan, don't know if he goes to the Williams lake sale much

Silver":1q31yg5d said:
kenny thomas":1q31yg5d said:
5S Cattle":1q31yg5d said:

Sorry, my mistake. I knew that was way too cheap for that quality of calves.

Thanks. They are crossbred mutts, bulls are mostly high percentage Simmie with some RA thrown in, cow herd still has a strong Blonde d'Aquitaine influence, but a little less every year by virtue of retaining heifers from the aforementioned bulls.
Impressive for mere "mutts" :clap: Guessed they were Sim x RA. Don't know squat about Blonde's...will look them up.
Was also impressed by their calm behavior while in the ring. Speaks volumes of your stockmanship skills. Last but not least, you must have been tickled with the auctioneer's complementary remarks.

76 Bar":17f0x1kp said:
Impressive for mere "mutts" :clap: Guessed they were Sim x RA. Don't know squat about Blonde's...will look them up.
Was also impressed by their calm behavior while in the ring. Speaks volumes of your stockmanship skills. Last but not least, you must have been tickled with the auctioneer's complementary remarks.

Oh it's always nice when the auctioneer pumps your tires, but one has to remember it's their job :lol2:

Silver":omkwyca3 said:
gcreekrch":omkwyca3 said:
My good friend Peter at the Mike. A true gentleman and a be nice good purveyor of cattle!

Peter does seem like a real gentleman, just met him this year since he took over management of this auction yard. It's actually Yancy selling this lot, they both do a good job.
I was definitely happy with the price considering the market. Mr. Parker wanted them and wasn't to be denied.
That's what makes the world whirl...someone that won't be denied..

Nice calves and they did pretty good, love that feeling when a good auctioneer see's the quality.

Silver":4fnsp9fp said:
76 Bar":4fnsp9fp said:

Oh it's always nice when the auctioneer pumps your tires, but one has to remember it's their job :lol2:
Yeah, they complement some hatchet arsed stuff too... "Wow, look at the frame on those!"

Latest posts