Auction time, iron planet etc.

Help Support CattleToday:

I've bid on a few things through AuctionTime but never won a bid. Last thing I bid on was an aerator that was way up north, I called the seller to check on shipping and everything seemed legit. The deal I've seen is everything goes through the roof in the last few minutes so have to be at a computer.

My brother in law uses Auction Time with his used farm equipment biz. He says the bidding procedure works like eBay's. Gotta be legit if he's doing it.

I have bought several pieces of equipment on Ebay site and large farm machinery online Equipment auctions. If selling you have commission to pay, buyers from all over the country to bid and the equipment is not loaded until it is paid for and they have strick rules. If buying it must be paid for before loading. It is a good way to sell and buy. Craig-list there is no fees, works good. Register with the site and meet whatever their payment requirements and start bidding, go pick up, and hope it is as good as it looks in the pictures.

Ritchie Bros. spent a pile of money buying up Ironplanet, so I would guess it's on the up and up if they want to continue to grow it.

i buy on auctiontime.

my suggestion is to look at sellers that show ratings. the ones who don't are usually shysters.

I sold a tractor last year thru auctiontime. I was reasonably satisfied with what it brought. You have to go thru a local auction co. that is registered with auctiontime. You cant just sell it yourself.....the auction co. you list with will come out and take pics and charge a commission on what it brings.
On the flip side I've bid on a few things but not gotten anything. You have to register to bid and get approved then your good to go.

Lucky":37erbwac said:
The deal I've seen is everything goes through the roof in the last few minutes so have to be at a computer.

Yes.
Used to buy small (for them) equipment out west, and hire almost free back hauls from the oil fields.
Always call and/or have someone look at the equipment unless it is like new. I had one nice guy put a tractor on a dyno for me.
Two ways to bid:
1) Figure out your top dollar and bid it well before the auction starts. Your max will automatically bid up others till it (may) be reached.
2) Wait till the final seconds and screw with people. :devil2: New high bid extends end time by a couple minutes, then someone bids again during the final seconds, and so on. I know a guy who had a bad day and then ran the last second bidder...

Stocker Steve":1i1umay0 said:
Lucky":1i1umay0 said:
The deal I've seen is everything goes through the roof in the last few minutes so have to be at a computer.

Yes.
Used to buy small (for them) equipment out west, and hire almost free back hauls from the oil fields.
Always call and/or have someone look at the equipment unless it is like new. I had one nice guy put a tractor on a dyno for me.
Two ways to bid:
1) Figure out your top dollar and bid it well before the auction starts. Your max will automatically bid up others till it (may) be reached.
2) Wait till the final seconds and screw with people. :devil2: New high bid extends end time by a couple minutes, then someone bids again during the final seconds, and so on. I know a guy who had a bad day and then ran the last second bidder...

I bought an old brush truck from Kansas last year off of Auctiontime, a 95 F350 with 70k miles on it. Was actually in a lot better condition than advertised. When I got quotes from their recommended hauling service, they were all in the $2k range - I drove out there and back for $600.

Where do you recommend for reasonable shipping?

cfpinz":28nvimrl said:
Stocker Steve":28nvimrl said:
Lucky":28nvimrl said:

Yes.
Two ways to bid:

I bought an old brush truck from Kansas last year off of Auctiontime, a 95 F350 with 70k miles on it. Was actually in a lot better condition than advertised. When I got quotes from their recommended hauling service, they were all in the $2k range - I drove out there and back for $600.

In my experience shipping will vary each time. It depends on who's the hungriest at the time. Lots of hot shot drivers on the roads. And semis with empty back hauls, if you can find them. I've used dealer provided trucking, local trucking, and a hot shot driver once. If memory serves me correctly I found him on a website. UShip? I can't remember. But do a google search and you're sure to have plenty of options.

JMJ Farms":7zzaqwu8 said:
cfpinz":7zzaqwu8 said:
Stocker Steve":7zzaqwu8 said:
Yes.
Two ways to bid:

In my experience shipping will vary each time. It depends on who's the hungriest at the time. Lots of hot shot drivers on the roads. And semis with empty back hauls, if you can find them. I've used dealer provided trucking, local trucking, and a hot shot driver once. If memory serves me correctly I found him on a website. UShip? I can't remember. But do a google search and you're sure to have plenty of options.

I've used Uship before it's a good service. Had a 110 hp dozer moved from NW Tennessee to NE Texas fot $1,200. Thought that was cheap enough.

Latest posts