Auction Sales

Help Support CattleToday:

jka300

Reaction score
Is it just me or are some people these day forget common sense when it comes to auction sales. It seems this year these sales are bring out people who just don't have a clue what an item really is worth. I've gone to about 10 auctions so far this year and my theory about this turns alittle bit into fact each time. Just yesterday I went to a sale, there was a 30 foot sprayer sitting there. Well this sprayer was in really really tough shape, the booms looked like they were rapped around a tree, missing all 4 tires, :!: the tank was cracked, and to top it off, all the hoses and the pump were missing. I was thinking (like many other farmers there)that they would be lucky to get a bid on the dumb thing, well they got a bid alright, it went up to $2700. Some one won a real winner there!! The same goes for panels, to get a new panel by us is around $85 - $130. At some sales, these used panels go for $100 for light panel and $135 for heavy duty. Nuts. But what really is the kicker is when the winner and the runner up get into a fight over the item. I guess I have to wear boxing equipment to my next sale if this is what it takes to get the winning bid!! :lol2: By the way it was only a verbal fight.

It isn;t a recent thing. I've always noticed that there are morons that will pay more and sometimes a lot more for a used up item then they could buy a new one for. It cracks me up when they claim that they're saving sales tax by buying the used (up) junk. Of the 2 high volume autioneers in town, one is known for alwasy selling high, the other is noted for selling low. The first one doesn;t do sales that have the junk, the other one seems to specilize in it. And yet, a couple of weeks ago I could have gotten a new Priefert tub for 300 bucks at the first auctioneers sale.

dun":m1mzz2p3 said:
It isn;t a recent thing. I've always noticed that there are morons that will pay more and sometimes a lot more for a used up item then they could buy a new one for. It cracks me up when they claim that they're saving sales tax by buying the used (up) junk. Of the 2 high volume autioneers in town, one is known for alwasy selling high, the other is noted for selling low. The first one doesn;t do sales that have the junk, the other one seems to specilize in it. And yet, a couple of weeks ago I could have gotten a new Priefert tub for 300 bucks at the first auctioneers sale.

Here in Texas, you still have to pay the sales taxes unless you are exempt (ag use is exempt on most items) and a lot sales a 10% buyers fee is added.

What I would like to know is why it only works out that way when you are buying the junk not when you are selling it... :roll:

The annual auctions in Rimbey are known for selling expensive crap.

There is a guy who buys a part from AutoZone for less than $4 and sells it on eBay for right at $20. He describes what it is and everyone thinks they need one of those. He's been doing it for over 10 years now.

As Dun said, idiots at auctions is nothing new.

Thats the way it goes at auctions.Some people seem think they have won a prize,even if they have to pay for it.It's also been my experience that the sales closer to a large city things bring less,than in a more rural area.

Thought you'd be from the other end of the province. I guess it is an AUCTION thing. Around here there's a lot of small farms and larger acreages and a lot of those folks work good paying jobs in the oil or gas industry and I think that's why they can pay so much for stuff. But I agree these folks seem to have no clue as to the value of things. My favourite was a 3 point single shank potatoe furrower. Brand new at the store for $175 so I guess it only made scense to pay $425 for it at an auction. Another one is culled lumber from the local home stores. Many times I've priced it out new the day before, and it goes for better than new price.

ive been going to auctions all my life.an you cant get any bargains at them.because you have people that want something but not know what its worth.then they get in a bidding war trying to keep old so an so from getting it.in the end paying more than its worth.

Alberta farmer":2ry1z7j5 said:
jka300: The 5% GST is refundable on farm purchases.
Ya I know its refundable but its still sucks to have to pay it on items that haven't been new for over 40 years.

bigbull338":2ry1z7j5 said:
ive been going to auctions all my life.an you cant get any bargains at them.because you have people that want something but not know what its worth.then they get in a bidding war trying to keep old so an so from getting it.in the end paying more than its worth.

I've seen this lots too. We got the local preacher want abe/ junk collector that does that all the time. He see some one bidding on an item that they want (he differently don't want it) and he will stand there and bid on it until the guy gives up. But if he wins that item, he acts dumb and say he wasn't biding. He does that all the time.

That reminds me of an episode of the Andy Griffith show where Barney buys the genie lamp. Andy is telling somebody about Barney and Goober going to the auction and Goober bought a piece of copper tubing for like fifteen cents and Andy says he could have bought it for a nickel at the hardware store!!
Apparently, this has been going on for decades! I think most of people just get caught up in the process of bidding and lose track of where they are on an item.

Just my two cents worth - don't try to outbid me on my 2 cents, that's all I've got !!!!

Latest posts