Auction deals/steals

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S":miw1669a said:
dun":miw1669a said:
An auction buy that struck me as funny was an old enamel pot with the enamel chipping off and a hole rusted in the bottom. They had thrown a 1 inch drive snap-on ratchet with a couple of extensions and a half dozen sockets in it. I paid 25 bucks for it and then the woman I had been bidding against offered me 20 bucks for just the pot. Being a sucker I just gave her the pot, saved me from throwing it away when I got home.

I can beat that price for a 1" drive socket set. My wife and sister found a complete set in it's metal box laying beside the road where it had apparently fallen off of someone's truck.
I got a heavy duty 24 foot extension ladder like that.

Stopped at a garage sale and bought an 8 ft Avon inflatable $100, and a MINT CONDITION 13 ft Boston Whaler (no motor) with new galv. trailer for $1000.

The lady told me she knew what they were worth and wasn't going to hagle!!. No problem I said , "Do you have any guns for sale?"

That's another story!! :banana: :banana:

cowgirl8":3hm3uy85 said:
Nesikep":3hm3uy85 said:
I've made a few deals... I got a 6" Record vice with stand for $40, I missed a nice little forklift that had a bad lift cylinder hose (damaged happened unloading it at the auction) for $600... Got a roll of 3 strand 10Ga copper wire, about 300 feet for $15... Got a 100 gallon tidy tank (for the back of a pickup) for $40 that needed a seam welded.. a barrel lifting grapple for $10, that has all the different bung wrenches with it, a good working pallet jack for $40

Found a 6HP briggs engine with a large dual diaphragm pump (worth lots) at the dump... about 10 1lb cans of propane that were NEW... a *really* good cultivator, 10 ft wide, NEW at an auction for $150.. we were willing to go to $1500 for it
Whoa.......gotta love those deals dont ya... :D

That cultivator has a spring steel tine every inch along its width, so it works good to get rid of small weeds, it's easy to adjust the pressure/angle of the tines, so that you can basically harrow with it too, and it's light enough to pull with a 20Hp tractor... I should find/take a picture of it sometime. Not all the deals we've made were good at auctions though.. we have been burnt on some equipment like a 2 disc mower that looked good but is dead inside, that was $1200... An old tractor that is taking more to get running than we bargained on... worn out diesel engine at 2200 hours, $800 for it and about $100 in parts...

I've been lucky at auctions. Passed on things I should have taken.

What I have been amazed at is the things people have given me. "I want you to have this...." I've helped and helped some of these folks. Spent hours under the welding hood. Didn't expect anything more than maybe coffee and a good lunch. Years later they leave me beholding to them. They've come and helped me. They didn't owe me anything. When I got my divorce it was quite funny what "gifts" I had accumulated. She wanted 1/2 the value of the items and couldn't get it.

Latest posts