auction calves

Help Support CattleToday:

auctionboy

Reaction score
I have gotten into buying 1-4 day old auction calves again. It is weird, they are all living! I feed 4 times a day and when they have scours I give them a quarter feeding and some imodium. I haven't used any electrolytes or any other meds. I think calves are far over medicated.

auctionboy":25cpmr7k said:
I think calves are far over medicated.
There are instances where I would agree with this statement but overall I cannot agree. Buying calves from the sale barn is risky business. Maybe you will be lucky and have no issues but you bring home anything and everything from the sales barn and you will be using meds you've never heard of trying to save calves.

All new stock should be segregated. I wouldn't put a auction calf with everything else just as I wouldn't put a new beef cow with everyone else.

Good luck with them.

You are aware electrolytes are not medicine? just sugar, salt, and minerals that any calf needs... and they're very good to give to a stressed or sick calf.

milkmaid":3nhi2pum said:
Good luck with them.

You are aware electrolytes are not medicine? just sugar, salt, and minerals that any calf needs... and they're very good to give to a stressed or sick calf.

I now exactly what they are.

So what was the point of this thread auctionboy? You just trying to brag or wanting a pat on the back or what? For your information, there are plenty of diseases and issues that won't show up until well after your segragation period.

auctionboy":28zwrvxu said:
I have gotten into buying 1-4 day old auction calves again. It is weird, they are all living! I feed 4 times a day and when they have scours I give them a quarter feeding and some imodium. I haven't used any electrolytes or any other meds. I think calves are far over medicated.

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Find some wood to knock on because there will be problems and disappointments. You can take that to the bank.

auctionboy":3sw3tln6 said:
milkmaid":3sw3tln6 said:
Good luck with them.

I now exactly what they are.

Good to know. Not giving electrolytes is certainly nothing to brag about.

milkmaid":265zb6eb said:
Good luck with them.

i think they are medicine, as it is defined in the dictionary.

auctionboy":1gar1ikr said:
milkmaid":1gar1ikr said:
Good luck with them.

i think they are medicine, as it is defined in the dictionary.

There's a difference in "medicine" in the broad sense of the word and "antibiotics". Don't guess you'd have a problem using "probiotics". Apparently a good a$$ whipping by dad was considered "good medicine" when I was growing up as I stayed medicated a lot.

any substance or substances used in treating disease or illness; medicament; remedy.

Works alright if nothing gets ill. Does all preventative medicine fit your definition as well - probiotics as mentioned, electrolytes can be preventative, coccidiostat, natural remedies?
In this country all calves have to have colostrum to four days, so it's illegal to sell them younger than that.

Did you manage to get that Jersey heifer bred?

regolith":au5lvv4x said:
Works alright if nothing gets ill. Does all preventative medicine fit your definition as well - probiotics as mentioned, electrolytes can be preventative, coccidiostat, natural remedies?
In this country all calves have to have colostrum to four days, so it's illegal to sell them younger than that.

Did you manage to get that Jersey heifer bred?

You should tell your government to stay out of your barn. I didn't say medicine should never be used, somebody put those words in my mouth. I sold that heifer from last year, open.

I didn't say medicine should never be used, somebody put those words in my mouth.

I didn't say you said that either - I was curious at the definition you posted, that limited 'medicine' to treatment of an illness. So much is used in prevention of illness and this area may be as important if not more if over-medication is a concern - on the other hand, it can also be a highly useful and completely harmless practise.

regolith":2ct2x0ef said:
the definition you posted, that limited 'medicine' to treatment of an illness. So much is used in prevention of illness and this area may be as important if not more if over-medication is a concern - on the other hand, it can also be a highly useful and completely harmless practise.

Sounds like colctrum would be a medicine too since it gets the calfs system functioning and provides antibodys for tit's health

auctionboy":2j4lrjy0 said:

4 times a day for feeding I would think could cause them to scour-that seems like a bit too much for a baby calf.

GMN

GMN":2zr31t8y said:
auctionboy":2zr31t8y said:

4 times a day for feeding I would think could cause them to scour-that seems like a bit too much for a baby calf.

GMN

Not if he is just giving them a pint or less per feeding GMN but it seems like a pita .

BTW AB healthy bottle calves are not an oddity, some of us were/are actually responsible with our calves as dairy farmers and made sure they got colostrum as soon as they were born and continued the feedings until they were 48 hours old even though we knew that they were being sold. I always had a waiting list for my dairy bull calves.

Latest posts