Aubrac X Piedmontese opinions?

Help Support CattleToday:

AllForage":1mjs95c8 said:
slick4591":1mjs95c8 said:
AllForage":1mjs95c8 said:
Any breed being healthier than the other is nothing more than marketing BS!!!

Is that why cardiologists recommend longhorn over commercial?

WTH does this mean??? yeah sure and doc oz knows all the answers. Remember the heart association were part of the animal fat smear campaign.

You'll never get the AHA behind beef, but individual cardiologists will tell you LH is better for you than commercial. What it sounds like is you're calling BS any beef breed being healthier (or less damaging) than another.

Here's the breakdown for Piedmontese:

The American Heart Association recommends 300 mg of dietary cholesterol a day. One serving (3.5 oz) of cross bred Piedmontese beef amounts to less than 21% of this allowance. Full blood animals, even less.​

Commercial Beef 74 mg
Bison 62 mg
Chicken (skinless) 70 mg
Lamb 72 mg
Pork 74 mg
Shrimp 152 mg
Swordfish 39 mg
Turkey (Skinless) 73 mg
Venison 85 mg

Crossbred Piedmontese (F1) 62.0 mg
Crossbred Piedmontese (F2) 38.6 mg
Full Blood Piedmontese 32.1 mg

It looks to me that by having less LDL cholesterol and being higher in Omega 3 than other breeds it might be either healthier, or less damaging depending on which side of the coin you want to look at.

Slick I realize you are a pied breeder or user, I meant no insult to the breed. I just do not see them working in a low energy no grain deal. Tenderness may be great but you need some marbling for cooking purposes. When leaness is touted in a grain fed situation that is a huge warning signal with grass fed.

I didn't read any insult in your post, AF. Way too many times people rag on the breed when they simply don't understand it. Yes, you need to know how to cook it (which is not hard to do) and as I'm not in the grass finished biz, there are some around that are doing quite well operating that way.

I hope I'm not misunderstood in my breed selection as I'm in cattle for the money, not for a breed. If Pieds fail me business wise, I'll go another direction and see if it pays. If I find another steak that benefits me better and tastes just as good, this fat boy will land there. As of this moment Pieds are taking the front seat.

After a lot of research and consideration I have settles od Murray Grey as a breed to use with the Aubracs in my grass-fed beef program. How about some input on a third breed to use in a 3-way cross system? Would Piedmontese be a good consideration to use on cows that are Aubrac X Murray Grey? If so should the calves fro the Piedmontese be only terminal? What other breeds would compliment the Aubrac x Murray Grey cows in a 100% forage system?

Thanks for all the input so far!

Personally I would just skip piedmontese, they seems to be wrong type for grass fed market. And I don't feels comfortable to use pied bull on small framed cows.

Big Bucks":doq7p62r said:
After a lot of research and consideration I have settles od Murray Grey as a breed to use with the Aubracs in my grass-fed beef program. How about some input on a third breed to use in a 3-way cross system? Would Piedmontese be a good consideration to use on cows that are Aubrac X Murray Grey? If so should the calves fro the Piedmontese be only terminal? What other breeds would compliment the Aubrac x Murray Grey cows in a 100% forage system?

Thanks for all the input so far!

There is nothing profoundly wrong with crossing a Piedmontese bull with a Aubrac or -cross cow, there are however some challenges. First and foremost; Piedmontese beef is very different from both the other breeds, and a customer liking one type may not like the other.
The requirements to raise them is another issue, Piedmontese crossbreds grow, mature and put on fat in a very different pattern, so you may end up overfeeding the Aubracs or underfeeding the Piedmontese, or possibly even both. I do breed Pied influenced cattle so I would know. I am also in a very different market.
As for calving problems you can do much worse with other breeds.
Piedmontese cattle need not be terminal, but they are better used that way because they are not predictable whether they give one type muscling or the other later on. The f1:s are all the same.
And lastly; why complicate things? A herd of one breed is good enough for your objectives, two breeds more work as you need more bulls and pastures, guess what happens with three breeds?

Not sure that Pieds, or any double muscled Euro breed, is right for what you want to do. That may be going in the wrong direction.

Look for bulls out of similar management and marketing programs. Insist that any bull you buy have DNA test results for tenderness and marbling. Doc is right, there is a great deal of difference within breeds and the gene test is the only way to identify those bulls that have what you need.

I would suggest doing the Igenity profile on all your cows to determine where you are starting and go from from there.

Your overall plan is sound. Grass finished beef is a fast growing market.