Aubrac Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

mdavisson

Reaction score
What percentage of Aubrac cattle are horned and how dominant is their "horned" gene when crossed with polled breeds? Thank you.

If an aubrac is crossed with a polled cow then either all or half of the caves will be polled, depending on the heritage of the cow!

mdavisson":309jytid said:
What percentage of Aubrac cattle are horned and how dominant is their "horned" gene when crossed with polled breeds? Thank you.

From what I heard on the sale on RFD TV, there aren't many polled Aubrac animals. Polled is dominant over horned, as long as the polled animal is homozygous polled. The calves from a horn - poll cross should be polled, but may be carrying a recessive horn gene.

Hello everyone,

I just thought I would add a few remarks on the horned/polled Aubrac. We have been using Aubrac bulls for 4 years. When we started we were using all horned bulls on mostly polled composite females. We have found that even on polled cows, some of the horns are hard to remove in one generation, a lot like some of the horned Hereford lines. Currently my family owns basically every polled Aubrac bull that is out there. I will probably be in trouble with other Aubrac breeders, but with all that this breed has to offer the commercial producer, we would hate to lose these good producers just because they are horned. Please feel free to check out our program at http://www.fickecattle.com.

Best regards
FCC

FCC":1teddm4b said:
When we started we were using all horned bulls on mostly polled composite females. We have found that even on polled cows, some of the horns are hard to remove in one generation, a lot like some of the horned Hereford lines.
Are you trying to say that aubrac don;t follow the horned polled genetics like other breeds of cattle?
Expecting a single polled gene in one animal and no polled genes in the other to knock the horns off of everything is expecting miracles.

you said it about right Dun. Dehorning limis is a hit and a miss even using double polled animals your still going to have some horns. There is more homo polled limis now so it is getting easier. The Aubracc breed will get there but it will take time.

Exactly, we have found that in certain lines, they seem to like to keep those nasty horns!

FCC

FCC":2tnd1bh9 said:
Exactly, we have found that in certain lines, they seem to like to keep those nasty horns!

FCC

You might want to go back to genetics 101 and study polled/horned and the relationship

Yes indeed, I will most certainly plan to bone up on the genetics lesson. In future posts I will try not to make "light" of any issue...please accept my apologies.

FCC

Latest posts