AUBRAC Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

How is it decided which ones get AI'd? Is it the same ones each year, or does the association ask you to AI different ones?

Sorry I answer your questions when I see it and when I have a few minutes...
If I understand (I'm not sure to understand well), you want to know if the selected bulls for IA are always from the same breeders?
If that's your questions, unfortunately, that is the BIG problem of the Aubrac UPRA organisation. Some breeders are more influential than others and some beautiful bulls don't become famous because the breeder isn't influential enough... :roll:

I am likewise interested in seeing your pictures - including the horns on an ideal cow.
Thanks!

Here are perfect horns for an Aubrac cow: (These cow isn't mine. I owned a cow who had those horns but I only have paper photos of her...)

It's a little bit of the same everywhere.. the people with the best animals are not always the best marketers, and here, I really have to give credit to success of the Angus association's marketing efforts

Here's a link to a french book on how to raise cows, pigs and horses... I just scanned the pages with the best pictures of some very nice cows.. the book was from 1940 or so, and was given to us by my mother's aunt who had a farm in switzerland, very close to the french border.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Rx7man/ ... Cow%20book

Keeping the cows locked up to prevent them from damaging pastures and meadows is a good reason..

Here's a picture of one of my best old cows Rosie, no special breeding, but she is half Salers, but she has been very influential in my herd.. Here she is at 16 years old (she lived to 18), with her daughter and granddaughter stealing some milk.. Both of them are now 5 years old and exceptional cows

I agree with you but in France Aubrac breeders are the Worst...

Wow your book seems to be so Intéresting ! Im gonna read it When I have à few minutes..
Keeping the cows locked up to prevent them from damaging pastures and meadows is a good reason..
The climate is also à good reason for me, but buildings cost so much....

Beautiful COW !

French Anne":wh2ayo5z said:
How is it decided which ones get AI'd? Is it the same ones each year, or does the association ask you to AI different ones?

Sorry I answer your questions when I see it and when I have a few minutes...
If I understand (I'm not sure to understand well), you want to know if the selected bulls for IA are always from the same breeders?
If that's your questions, unfortunately, that is the BIG problem of the Aubrac UPRA organisation. Some breeders are more influential than others and some beautiful bulls don't become famous because the breeder isn't influential enough... :roll:

No, I was meaning how is it decided which cows in your herd are AId? You or the association?

I'm curious to know more about your three favorite cows. Two are Gulliver daughters. What about the third one? What did you like about those two? Who was their maternal grandsire? What lines seemed to work with them to make great calves?

The third one, Nantes, is a campeur daughter, one of the best IA bull for me.
I love those cows because They have à really good type. I'm in love with black cows like Moselle.
Moreover, those cows were Angels....
Unfortunately, the black one Calved 13 rimes and gave me 10 pairs of twins... I have only one daughter of her, sired by a son of à good bull Who won at the sia called Lewis.
Her grandsire is a basic bull called javert.

All those cows needed à muscled bull. In the current IA bulls, eros would be the best choice for me.

French Anne":2m2o58gk said:
The third one, Nantes, is a campeur daughter, one of the best IA bull for me.

Is be interested in learning what you liked about Campeur. I can read his statistics over at IBOVAL, but statistics don't tell the whole story.

I love those cows because They have à really good type. I'm in love with black cows like Moselle. Moreover, those cows were Angels....

So, did Gulliver sire cattle with calm temperaments? He was never imported to the US, and so there is no experience with him over here.

And when you say, "really good type", could you expand on that some more?

Unfortunately, the black one Calved 13 rimes and gave me 10 pairs of twins... I have only one daughter of her, sired by a son of à good bull Who won at the sia called Lewis. Her grandsire is a basic bull called javert.

I'm just now seeing this! 10 sets of twins in 13 years? That's pretty amazing! Did she raise them all herself?

All those cows needed à muscled bull. In the current IA bulls, eros would be the best choice for me.

Eros is a Bogosse son out of a Ushuaia cow. We are importing Bogosse (and two close relatives) to try to do that with our fullblood Ushuaia daughters (and her two daughters, both sired by Andalou, as well as the daughters of these Andalou daughters sired by Heros, Goeland, Orfevre and Armenien) ... Eros isn't eligible for importation to the USA.

Great thread! Anne I love seeing pics like yours, how things are done in different areas. Thanks for posting and please keep posting. Oh and :welcome: !

Walnut, very nice looking bull!

Alan

Great thread! Anne I love seeing pics like yours, how things are done in different areas. Thanks for posting and please keep posting.

Thank you so much! Of course I will keep posting!

Here are some of my cows last summer, next to the village of Aubrac. (June 2015)
In the foreground, Sedan, one of my most productive cow, a granddaughter of Hector IA.

Is be interested in learning what you liked about Campeur. I can read his statistics over at IBOVAL, but statistics don't tell the whole story.
If you want to know my opinion, IBOVAL and others statistics don't reflect the real performance of the cow/bull.

I like Campeur because he is out of a very old origin of Marie Coumoul, a great breeder. He has the perfect type (beautiful horns, clear color etc..)
Unfortunately, doses aren't available anymore.

So, did Gulliver sire cattle with calm temperaments? He was never imported to the US, and so there is no experience with him over here.

And when you say, "really good type", could you expand on that some more?

Yes, absolutely. Gulliver's daughters are angels. My neighbour bought Gulliver as a bull, he had mad cows but Gulliver calmed his herd.
Gulliver isn't available now. (too old, no more doses)

When I say "really good type" it includes: Good color (clear with black eyes, legs and neck), long thin twisted horns (Like Moselle's horns), not too much muscle (old Aubrac type).

I'm just now seeing this! 10 sets of twins in 13 years? That's pretty amazing! Did she raise them all herself?

Of course. My father before me worked to make all my cows able to rise two calves (by increasing dairy capacities).
And always real twins (2 identical females or 2 identical males).

Eros is a Bogosse son out of a Ushuaia cow. We are importing Bogosse (and two close relatives) to try to do that with our fullblood Ushuaia daughters (and her two daughters, both sired by Andalou, as well as the daughters of these Andalou daughters sired by Heros, Goeland, Orfevre and Armenien) ... Eros isn't eligible for importation to the USA.

Ok, you're right, Bogosse/Ushuaia seems to give good results. I had a Eros son last month, he is very heavy and have massive plumbs, as I like it.

Right. To me, "black cow" means a black cow. She must mean "sooty face".
Ok sorry, I didn't know this expression..

ABOUT MY FORMERS BUILDINGS:

I talked about it a few posts ago. My Aubrac cows are currently in parks with straw. But before, they were attached.
In south of France, and particularly in mountain areas (where straw can't grow), cows are attached. I'm gonna try to explain how it works with some photos:

Cows are attached with a special chain to a timber that makes a manger.
They have a trough for water each 2 cow.

Behind the cows, a corridor (sometimes calves parks are here). Between cows and the corridor, a manure spillway. It is electric. It turns and take the manure out.
Another system can be seen: A grid with a pit below where manure falls.

With this system, we must bring calves to suckle 2 times a day.

How would you compare and contrast your Aubrac and Simmental herds? Fertility? Fleshing ability? Feed conversion efficiency? Temperament? Hardiness? Etc?

Aubrac and simmental have only one common point: both can produce Milk and Meat.
Fertility: Aubrac so much better
Tempérament : same, dépending on How you Work with them.
Calving. Very easier with aubrac
Size: simmentals are enormous compared to aubracs.
Meat and Milk better with simmentals

Thanks for posting the pictures of some of your cows and the "perfect" horns! Hopefully you will have time to post pictures of your calves and bulls as well.

Latest posts