ATV's

Help Support CattleToday:

arrowhunter

Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of you use ATV's or 4-wheelers on the farm. I'm just curious as to what you think is the best or most useful accessory you have on it? I bought one last year and am looking for ideas!

4wd Kawasaki Mule (an old one). The most useful accessory is the roof, gun rack, tow hitch and not really an accessory but the tilting bed.

dun

arrowhunter":yei6johj said:
I'm sure a lot of you use ATV's or 4-wheelers on the farm. I'm just curious as to what you think is the best or most useful accessory you have on it? I bought one last year and am looking for ideas!

arrowhunter":3clm2z0l said:

4 wheeler: front rack & extra large rack on back to hold tools, tagger/tattoo box, fencing supplies, feed + gun rack

i have an oversized rack on the back that can carry a lot more equipment, tools, etc than regular rack that comes on the atv. i have a gun boot also, i carry a shotgun in it in the summer to shoot snakes, mini 14 in the winter for coyotes and buzzards, 2" ball for pulling a utility trailer or to hook a chain on if i need to drag something, carry a chain on one of the running boards, winch on the front has a lot of uses, one of which it is pretty good for stretching barb wire

Good tip on stretching wire with the winch Sam, I'll have to try that. I guess I should say what I have on mine so far, warn 2.5 ci winch, cargo box on back and I have a front rack basket that I haven't installed yet.

A coouple of years ago we had a heifer that twinned way back in the boonies. The box on the mule, it's like a stake bed with high sides, was really handy for hauling the calves in. I sat in the back with one one either side of me and my wife drove so we could get the calves up closer to the barn. The cow was able to keep sight and smell of the calves and followed right in. I've hauled calves in for the neighbor on his 4 wheeler with the calf stradled across my lap. Worked ok with one, other then getting peed on, but it sure would have been a trick with twins.

dun

We got a Honda 300 fourtrax in about 1990. its one of the best investments we've ever made. The land here is either sand hill or wetland so we've gotten a lot of use out the fourwheeler for pulling trucks and tractors out of the mud and being able to go places trucks cant. In addition its easy to hold a calf in one hand straddling your legs and drive with the other hand but we've rarely needed to do that. another great accessory is the tank to spray fence rows and spot spray weeds. in addition my lab likes to ride on the back rack.

Beefy":2nde2beg said:
another great accessory is the tank to spray fence rows and spot spray weeds. in addition my lab likes to ride on the back rack.

i forgot about the spray tank since it doesn't stay on year-round & i agree, excellent way to spot spray. & our heeler & border collie like the back rack as well.

I forgot about the spot sprayer too, but I also have a boom sprayer that mounts in the receiver hitch.

dun

Polaris has those bumpers you can buy for there ATVs for the front and rear. They really help. My cousin hit a tree with the Sportsman 500 at about 30 mph and the bumpers kept the ATV from getting crushed in the front. I dunno how many other ATV companys have bumpers for there ATVs but they are worth getting if they do.

They're pretty handy with a seeder on the back too.

dd":2up0mts8 said:
They're pretty handy with a seeder on the back too.

another one i forgot. we also use our seeders on the back of the 4-wheelers to put out granular pellets in our hay fields for fire ants.......those mounds can cause some big problems for a hay cutter.

Get a horse they last longer...no really if you do get a 4-wheeler. Our Yamaha has lasted a long time. We recently bought another one. Hondas are good too. I personally think you can't live without a wench. You never get stuck, it's great for pulling barbed wire, & helping cows in need.
Ellie May

D.R. Cattle":1kelt438 said:
Hit a tree at 30MPH? If the bumper survived, the operator must have been in pretty sad shape.

Luckily she was alright, the bumper however was just a piece of scrap metal after that. It shows how good those bumpers actually are.

A. delaGarza":2wv1j2si said:
Polaris the BEST, but the size of my farm deserves a pick-up to drive around and the ATV's are for FUN and maybe in hunting season to drive around the blind stands for a good deer hunt.

If you hunt with dogs, like on boar, bear, or whatever, or coonhunt like me you can put dogboxes on ATVs. And Polaris in my opinion are my favorite to. I want to get a Sporstman 700 v-twin. You should look at Polaris' version of a Kawaski Mule , the Ranger. The 6-wheel version is great for muddy conditions like paddocks and sloppy fields. They would be good for you A.delaGarza if you need a truck.

I don't think I could get by without the "wench" I married, but she's a little light for the heavy work. A "winch" or com-a-long does a better job on those projects. But they just aren't near as good at fixing breakfast.

dun

Ellie May":1pubezna said:
I personally think you can't live without a wench.
Ellie May

Yep, I agree on the Kawasaki mule 4x4. Can't live without it!! Having a bad back I rode in all of them and found the mule was the most comfortable riding and took the bumps very well without being too soft - they were the first to build the utility vehicle line, so they have alot of experience.

The new Kubota 4x4 with diseal looks very good too, a bit pricey though at $11,000.
:cboy:

Latest posts