ATV Trailer Design.

Help Support CattleToday:

4x4dually

Reaction score
I thought I'd share my design with you all. I scoured the internet for weeks and saved images of all the ATV trailer I could find. Then I took the good and bad from them all and made my own. Works like a charm. Heavy....yes...but functional. I love it. I just need more than this little 400 to pull it in the future.

Designed in Solidworks. Axle is solid 1.25" dia stock. Everything hinges on pillow blocks which I got online for $9 each (cheap china junk.) Materials cost right at $1000 with tires, wheels, hubs, metal, etc.

I still lack fender to control mud toss which I hope to put trays on top of to hold hand tools and fencing supplies while working in the pasture.

IMG_2381_zpsc291a707.jpg

Capture_zpsae9ef2ca.jpg

IMG_2379_zps6800651a.jpg

IMG_2387_zps73faefb4.jpg

IMG_2561_zpse9099c81.jpg

IMG_2565_zpsc30e5094.jpg

IMG_2641_zpsc5279969.jpg

IMG_2642_zpssj6ty5fp.jpg

IMG_3857_zpsfqxssqef.jpg

That's pretty nice. I consider my 4 wheeler and trailer to be the handiest things on the farm. I got a little 8n ford not long ago. I like to hook my trailer to it as well. The drawbar is on the 3 point hitch on a red belly. I've found my trailer is short enough for the tractor to dump the trailer. It's pretty handy.

One of my design goals was to keep it the same width as the ATV. I didn't want to get into a place where the ATV would fit but the trailer wouldn't. I also wanted to keep the center of gravity low. I had an old one with the bed above the tires. It always tipped over. It ended up 1 inch wider than the ATV on each side but a 100 gallon water tank as well as my Bobcat 250 welder can both set right in it. I designed it to withstand 1000 lbs of payload according to software analysis but I haven't tested it real world yet. Nothing wrong with high-tech-redneck-ery is there? LOL

I think you need to swap out the tires between the trailer and 4 wheeler. :D
One of the best things about having a job using 3D software every day is being able to do things like that. It's saved me a ton of money and time over the last 20 years.

M.Magis":2zxg32g9 said:
I think you need to swap out the tires between the trailer and 4 wheeler. :D
One of the best things about having a job using 3D software every day is being able to do things like that. It's saved me a ton of money and time over the last 20 years.

I would swap them, but the trailers are all the same size. The ATV has skinny on the front and wide on the back. I can't. :cry2: The ones on the Polaris suck. They are factory take offs from a buddy that I got cheapola last year I think. The ones I took off "last year" were the original tires from 2001 when it was new. :lol2:

Brute 23":3cfhtbky said:
I like that. Some would say that is over-kill but it looks just right from here.

Looks like you need more space between the bed and trailer frame so it can hinge with out raising the front tires.

True. I could have spaced the pillow blocks up a tad. That #1500 tongue jack has no issue raising the tires. LOL I'm sure it is overkill on every level but a 100 gal of water adds up fast. So does the welder. It chimes in a #550 I think. Probably more with the leads. I was really scared of the walking axles bending on turns with a load. The walkers are made from quarter wall 2" tubing. The entire trailer could have been downgraded a gauge or two on thickness.....but I'm a build once and never repair kind a guy. I just wish it wasn't so heavy to pull.

Latest posts