atv seeder/drill

Help Support CattleToday:

SANDTRAP

Reaction score
has anyone every seen a grass drill that is small enough to be pulled behind an atv
i tried broadcasting seed two years in a row w/o much luck and a tractor is just too big and hate to run it thru the brush.
i looked at some food plot seeders that deer hunters use and didn't find anything.

i was thinking along the lines of an old big wheel type drill or something.
atv's have more hp than a lot of the old tractor that people used to farm with.
figured it would be better than buying a small tractor.

SANDTRAP":178keo1p said:
i was thinking along the lines of an old big wheel type drill or something.
atv's have more hp than a lot of the old tractor that people used to farm with.
figured it would be better than buying a small tractor.

It has to do as much with traction and weight as hp

I'll tell you something that I've done that works. First, take a hand held (I don't know the proper name for this thing but I call it a seed slinger) thing that holds a half-gallon or so of seeds with a crank that spins a wheel and slings the seed out. Sling all your seed out with that. Then run over it with a pull behind lawn aerator. The one I've used is about 4 ft wide and you fill it with water to give it weight. If you're working on plowed ground, don't put the water in. You can rent them pretty cheap for half a day. I've successfully seeded several centipied grass lawns this way.

I was looking for no till drills in general and came across one called the "Dew Drop Drill", made to be used with an ATV. Costs $7000.00 . Says he's sold a bunch of'em and they love'em. But I have'nt seen them work or no anybody that has one.

Dewey Stouffer
Little Sioux Prairie Co.
2150 280th Street
Spencer, Ia 51301
Ph. 712-264-1186
fax. 712-262-2690

Here's the site

http://www.dewdropdrill.com/index.htm

cmf1":2v0d92sq said:
I was looking for no till drills in general and came across one called the "Dew Drop Drill", made to be used with an ATV. Costs $7000.00 . Says he's sold a bunch of'em and they love'em. But I have'nt seen them work or no anybody that has one.

Dewey Stouffer
Little Sioux Prairie Co.
2150 280th Street
Spencer, Ia 51301
Ph. 712-264-1186
fax. 712-262-2690

Here's the site

http://www.dewdropdrill.com/index.htm

Must be for government funded work.

That's a good guess vett. NRCS pays $200/ac to plant native legumes and WSGs on CRP land. $7000 is affordable in light of that if you have a lot of acres to seed or are going to do for hire drilling.. Seed cost $80/ac. One could use a $7000 atv drill or one could use a seed spinner/slinger and lawn aerator for almost nothing and get the same results.

1982vett":2uemjr6k said:
Must be for government funded work.

Trust me when I tell you the closest I'll get to that seed drill (or any other one from the prices I'm seein') is the picture on the internet.
But it is an awful pretty picture.
My slinger is about 15 years old, and it still spins every time I hit the PTO.

Latest posts