ATV seed spreader

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
Looking for a spreader for my atv to spread grass seed. What brand is best? I want one that mounts to the racks not a tow behind.

I have an electric Moltrie. The opening gate is also controlled electrically which makes it handy for varying the amount of seed being spread while you are on the move.

I spent a little extra and bought a Truax Seed Slinger. I don't think a spreader can top it if you are wanting to spread fluffy warm season grass seed. Also has a place to add small hard seed in a separate compartment.

dun":x1xjvq42 said:
I have an electric Moltrie. The opening gate is also controlled electrically which makes it handy for varying the amount of seed being spread while you are on the move.

I have looked at those. What model do you have ? Does it spread small seeds like clover ok?

I forget the name of mine right now, came from Indiana, but it has an agitator in it. Need it to spread brome seed, or something light like that. gs

I've got a Herd model that bolts to the back rack. When I was researching them, it was one of the few that folks recommended for accurately metering clover - which it does very well. It was a bit pricey, but I'd definitely buy it again.

Had (well, I guess I still have it) a Moultrie with the manual setting - total POS - no way you could ever set it properly to spread an appropriate amount of seed.
If I were buying another one, it would be a Herd.

Ebenezer":3kdevm9m said:
Cheaper Moultrie with manual setting is pretty poor on lasting more than a year or so.
Never tried the manual setting one. I use my electric setting one only for clover and hulled lespedeza everything else I use the drill. When I drill I use the clover box for clover and lespedza. The Moultrie is just for over seeding existing pastures.