ATV Question

Help Support CattleToday:

skip

Reaction score
After a great deal of thought about the right ATV for our needs, I've decided to purchase a 4 wheeler. I understand everyone has positive opinions about "the Kawasaki Mules" and other cart type vehicles but in my case the 4 wheel ATV will be best. My questions are (1)What works good for general ranch work? (2)How powerful does it really need to be? (3)How often do you really need 4 wheel drive? There is a big price difference between the different models and I don't want to pay for something that is just not used very often. Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

skip":u52c7cvt said:
After a great deal of thought about the right ATV for our needs, I've decided to purchase a 4 wheeler. I understand everyone has positive opinions about "the Kawasaki Mules" and other cart type vehicles but in my case the 4 wheel ATV will be best. My questions are (1)What works good for general ranch work? (2)How powerful does it really need to be? (3)How often do you really need 4 wheel drive? There is a big price difference between the different models and I don't want to pay for something that is just not used very often. Any other input would be greatly appreciated.
visit a Polaris dealer he will work something for you, Polaris has a wide variety of ATV's and accesories, so for sure one will fullfill your needs

I have a Honda Rancher 4x4. It works great and the cost wasn't too steep. I bought last years model when the new models were introduced and saved some money that way. I went with the 4x4 because we have some pretty wet places both in the deer lease and cow pastures, it's worked great so far and been worth the extra $$. It gives that extra little pull that sometimes makes the difference between moving on and getting off to walk or rig up a pull.

I would have to agree with tfosterjr to go with a honda rancher or atleast a honda. everyone already knows that honda makes the best four wheeler anyway(lol)!!!! we have a 2002 honda rancher 4x4 and it works great here for us. it has 350 cc's and not that we pull a lot of heavy things with it but we have never had much trouble with not enough power. and we bought this new and it wasnt that much money atleast compared to other four wheelers. our rancher is electric shift which at times can make it nice especially if someone is on it that does not no what they are doing.

joe

For a utility ATV I really think the Kawasakis are hard to beat, but for zipping around hte Hondas do appear to be the most popular around here. Sure can't be becasue of the quality of service so it must be the equipment itself.

dun

D.R. Cattle":2rfm66d0 said:
I've got a Kawasaki but if I was going to get another 4-wheeler, I'd get a Honda.

What I really want to do is get rid of four wheelers all together and get a Mule or a Ranger. I can't get many fence posts, rolls of wire or sacks of feed on the four wheeler. They are just people carriers. I end up having to use the F350 anyway when I've got some stuff to carry.

We have 2 mules. An older 4wd and an even older 2wd. For most things the 2 wd would do the job, but it's easier to just hop on the 4wd and leave the other one for the grandkids to play with. I recently picked up an older Ford Ranger 4wd, it's mighty handy and when the weather is nasty it's what I use. The Mule fits into tighter corners and is more maneuverable. If you have many tight quarter places the Mule would get my nod, but for winter/rain/snow/100+ temps, the truck sure is a winner. I have pulled a 5x10 utiity trailer stacked 3 foot high with split and stacked firewood from spots with the Mule that really amazed me.
I use a pneumatic post driver for t-posts and it's sure handy to be able to just pop the compressor and 4-5 bundles of t-posts in the mule and take off into the woods.

dun

D.R. Cattle":3l0kawu9 said:
What I really want to do is get rid of four wheelers all together and get a Mule or a Ranger. I can't get many fence posts, rolls of wire or sacks of feed on the four wheeler. They are just people carriers. I end up having to use the F350 anyway when I've got some stuff to carry.

we've had quite a few 4-wheelers over the years (dad puts about 8,000 miles/yr on them). we've had honda, kawasaki, suzuki & now a yamaha. basically we haven't seen a lot of difference in quality between the different models although the suzuki was probably a little inferior to the others. i guess it all boils down to preference.......ford vs chevy vs dodge. the only suggestion i would give, though, is if you go w/4wd, do not get all-time 4wd.

any of your major brand 4 wheelers will work for you, just need to decide what size you want, and do like txag suggested, get a 4 wheel drive. change the oil in them and they will be just like a truck, will last a long time if you take care of it. drive several different ones and that can give you an indication of what feels good to you

we have 3 of them, all Kawasaki's. I traded the last one I bought for my daughter back to the dealer after christmas for an automatic transmision. I've never needed 4 whl drive, but then my land is fairly even, and I just dont go out much in the mud/snow. Mine are the 360cc, and I keep a 16' trailer hooked up to one at all times, just for picking up brush and stuff. I think the next one I get will be a Mule, but you have to understand, they are 2 different vehicles. The ATV's are actually for me and the kids to ride around on when we go to the neighbors and such, where as the Mule would be more of an dedicated work machine, as I dont see the Mule jumping hills and going through creekbeds and such! But be sure and bring your checkbook, as the mules are about twice the cost of a normal 4 wheeler!

If you do decide on a side by side rec vehicle, look at the polaris ranger and yamaha rhino, they blow the mule away in power, rider comfort, ground clearance and performance. I'm not sure of the price difference but they are both worth looking in to. Wish I could afford one! I don't mean to dis the Mule as it is a great machine but other companies have seen the need for this kind of vehicle and up'ed the ante quite a bit.

I'm partial to a Honda. You can still see some of their old three wheelers being used. I have a 1985 125 that my kids ride around on. It smokes a little, but that thing is 19yrs old!
As for as four wheelers, I would recomend the Honda 350 Rancher 4x4. The four-wheel drive isn't just handy in the mud, it also helps on turning when you have a full poison tank on the back rack.Plenty of power.
Another bike you might look at is polaris. I don't know much about this bike, but I know they have a heck of a deal going on. If you buy a $6,000 bike you can get $3,000 back if you mail in a coupon 7 days from the date of purchase three years from now. I asked the salesman how they could do it and make money. He said over the course of three years there is a surprising percentage of people that loose their coupon or just forget. So if you're not the forgetful type, this may be something to look into.
Last week I noticed John deer makes a four wheeler now. They call it the "buck".

jfont":3u53ebr9 said:
Another bike you might look at is polaris. I don't know much about this bike, but I know they have a heck of a deal going on. If you buy a $6,000 bike you can get $3,000 back if you mail in a coupon 7 days from the date of purchase three years from now. I asked the salesman how they could do it and make money. He said over the course of three years there is a surprising percentage of people that loose their coupon or just forget. So if you're not the forgetful type, this may be something to look into.

we've never really looked at polaris either. they used to all be automatic transmission (not sure if they still are) & we prefer to shift. our neighbor has a polaris & when he's out driving around it sounds like he's riding a chainsaw. but, the deal mentioned by jfont might be worth checking out, especially if you do prefer the automatic.

Polaris is still automatic belt drive, there are true workhorses! No matter where your at or what your doing your always in the right gear, no wheelie poppin when downshifting up steep inclines. I have nothing against any other brands, I just know polaris works great. They also have true 4 wheel drive, meaning it has power to all four, some only power 3 wheels like a 'limited slip" deal. The "chainsaw" must be an older 2 stroke, most now are 4 stroke, quiet,powerful and bullet proof!

Latest posts