Atv bridge

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
My idea is 2-7/8 pipe laid across the across the creek tied together so they don't roll apart, like a cattle guard except crossing the creek.

Any better ideas ?

None that would be cheaper than that. One of these years we're gonna finally cut the runnin gear off the semi flatbed and use it for a bridge to access the back of the ranch I work on. One of these years...

How wide would it need to be? 2 7/8 will hold a lot unsupported in the middle depending how many you use if the creek isn't too wide.

I actually used an old 15' cattle guard that was no longer good enough to support the electric company's big bucket trucks. good enough for a 4 wheeler, once I put some surplus sheet metal on it.
If you have access to surplus utility poles full length, they will work too for quite a few years.

Cross-7":3lja8yfo said:
My idea is 2-7/8 pipe laid across the across the creek tied together so they don't roll apart, like a cattle guard except crossing the creek.

Any better ideas ?

Old mobile home frames make great bridges. There should be plenty out there with all the tornadoes.

True Grit Farms":xg5tgzoc said:
Old mobile home frames make great bridges. There should be plenty out there with all the tornadoes.
Around here that is the most common bridge on private property

Cross-7":3d4b02wz said:

Any better ideas ?
I've built them the way you are talking about. We also build pivot bridges the same way. Use two 4" pipe for the runners and the 2" for the cross members.

The creek is 10-15' wide.
The problem is there isn't good access down to it with anything other than an atv.
I could drag the joints of pipe down and assemble it piece by piece.
I don't know how I'll hold it together.
May have to be bolted

Elec company replaced some poles on my place.
I took 2 and buried about 2' deep on both ends, just wide enough to drive the wheels on.
Took some 2x12's and put on them, made about 4 short ones to go between them to hold them together.
Been driving over it every day for 4 years.
Caution, don't drink too much beer before crossing. gs

plumber_greg":33rk2wrr said:
Elec company replaced some poles on my place.
I took 2 and buried about 2' deep on both ends, just wide enough to drive the wheels on.
Took some 2x12's and put on them, made about 4 short ones to go between them to hold them together.
Been driving over it every day for 4 years.
Caution, don't drink too much beer before crossing. gs

I talked to a friend/customer that has the pipe about it.
He said it wouldnt be a problem to build one 6' wide and 15' long.
I told him after few cold ones that may not be wide enough.
He said he'd sell me guard rail and lights for it too :D

I'd have to look up the moment of inertia for pipe, but I have everything for beams and channels. A W6x15 beam 15ft would support 3000 lbs and deflect 0.423" in the middle which is under the max allowed of 0.500".

A W4x13 beam would support 1000 lbs and deflect 0.362" in the middle which is under the max allowed of 0.500". W4x13 beam is about $6.10/ft or $122/20ft piece for an idea of price.

All of the above is a single piece of beam and doesn't account for two pieces or center pieces to make an actual bridge.

Latest posts