attle grubs??

Help Support CattleToday:

txshowmom

Reaction score
Can anyone tell be what cattle grubs are? Some of our cattle are getting bumps unter theirs skin in the lower round and when I scratch them a whitish yellow thing comes out. Not really sure what it is, dosen't look like a worm. Doesn't seem to bother the cows. Any help would be great

txshowmom":g3q0uyix said:
Can anyone tell be what cattle grubs are? Some of our cattle are getting bumps unter theirs skin in the lower round and when I scratch them a whitish yellow thing comes out. Not really sure what it is, dosen't look like a worm. Doesn't seem to bother the cows. Any help would be great

Do they look roughly like a large yellowish white semi-waxy maggot? If so they're cattle grubs - ox warbles, the larvae stage of the heel fly.
Just seems like a stange time of year. By now I would think they should be in the fly stage and not have migrated to the back yet.

dun

txshowmom":3dkknz86 said:
They are not on thier backs just some on the lower round.

I'm not sure what they would be other then some type of worm. Warbles will have a small breathing hole in th middle. How big are they?

dun

About the size of a very small pebble. Maybe 1/8 in thick and 1/4 inch long at the most.

txshowmom":1fjnnxv1 said:
About the size of a very small pebble. Maybe 1/8 in thick and 1/4 inch long at the most.

Other then the location it sounds like warbles. But it could be some type of fly/insect larvae (pretty obviously), but what kind it is I haven't a clue. At the risk of sounding repetitious, why not check with your vet?

dun

Well they don't seem to be bothering anyone but me. The cattle are all fat and happy. Its not all of them just a few in the show barn.

give your kids an old glass coke bottle & let them have some fun.

Latest posts