Attention Real Cattleman

Help Support CattleToday:

txshowmom

Reaction score
This is a serious question. It has been said over and over again on this board that there are really great breeders out there that sell calves at a reasonable price. With that in mind....Who has the best cattle in Texas? Not the most well known cattle, not the best PR. Just plain and simple the best cattle for a good price. If these breeders are out there then I would love to go look at their cattle and bring some to the pasture as well as the showbarn.

txshowmom":opbd3k3a said:
This is a serious question. It has been said over and over again on this board that there are really great breeders out there that sell calves at a reasonable price. With that in mind....Who has the best cattle in Texas? Not the most well known cattle, not the best PR. Just plain and simple the best cattle for a good price. If these breeders are out there then I would love to go look at their cattle and bring some to the pasture as well as the showbarn.

As a performance Angus breeder (not in Texas), I don't pay any attention to show reports. When I find out that a bull I'm using has sired a show winner, it's a welcome surprise to me. In the Angus business, the show side of the industry has virtually nothing to do with the beef side of the industry. It's very, very seldom that I see a bull producing sons that are winners on feed test AND winners in the show ring. In fact, the only bull that comes to mind is Krugerrand of Donamere. That may not be true of other breeds. This is my personal opinion, pointed to no particular individual or program, but I stay away from bulls promoted by show operations until they ave very, very proven in lots and lots of herds. When you say "best" cattle, what does that mean? My opinion of "best" might be totally different than your opinion of "best" cattle. So there's no answer to your question, IMO.

Well depending on the breed of cattle.

There are several ranchers who have good Simbrah cattle. Some well known for showring success and some just really good momma cows.
Pine Ridge Ranch, Athens,-- JHC Ranch, Cameron,-- Triple S, Liberty Hill,--4G, Carmine--La Muneca, Linn

Simmental: Knezek, Yoakum--Enchanted Pines, Crockett--Drew Ranch, Hearne--Buzzard Hollow

Limo's: Kinsel, Beaumont--CFLX, Madisonville--KEMI, College Station

Brangus: Stallwart, Willis

Angus: Clark Angus Ranch,Crockett (Really they are located at Dodge)

Brahman: V8, Boling (They are very well known, but, they have good cattle that can be bought reasonably priced)

These are some that came to me off the top of my head.

txshowmom":n6782h0z said:

:cboy: Circle C cow raised on grass only

Jun17011.jpg
[/img]

Define "best cattle"

dun

Good solid maternal cows, thick, structurally correct, good teats and udder, just basically a good quaility cow.

rgv4":2fjzc182 said:

There are several ranchers who have good Simbrah cattle. Some well known for showring success and some just really good momma cows.
Pine Ridge Ranch, Athens,-- JHC Ranch, Cameron,-- Triple S, Liberty Hill,--4G, Carmine--La Muneca, Linn

Simmental: Knezek, Yoakum--Enchanted Pines, Crockett--Drew Ranch, Hearne--Buzzard Hollow

Brahman: V8, Boling (They are very well known, but, they have good cattle that can be bought reasonably priced)

Are all these ranches or peoples names or towns? I cant tell where one name ends and another begins. Which one is the ranch and which one is the town that there located in? for example: is Stallwart the brangus ranch or is Willis the Brangus Ranch? Whats Kinsel , Beumont? which one is these names is the ranch name?

rgv4 wrote:

Are all these ranches or peoples names or towns? I cant tell where one name ends and another begins. Which one is the ranch and which one is the town that there located in? for example: is Stallwart the brangus ranch or is Willis the Brangus Ranch? Whats Kinsel , Beumont? which one is these names is the ranch name?

This is not my post but I can answer most of them. Stallwart is the ranch, Willis is the town. Kinsel ids the ranch, Beumont is the town. I was really looking for ranches that are NOT well know.

CopeMan":2tl9ywjm said:
rgv4":2tl9ywjm said:

Ok. I'm familar with these ranches, so I'll set you straight.

It's the breed of cattle, then the ranch name, then in what town it is located.
Example: Brangus:(breed) Stallwart (ranch) Willlis (town)--then the next one.

[ I was really looking for ranches that are NOT well know.[/quote]

OK. This is just my opinion and experience so let me completly finish before you all start hitting your reply buttons. :stop:

You know how they say that 1 rotten apple spoils the whole basket, well I no longer buy from the smaller unknown ranchers because on a couple of experiences that I've had in the last few years. Alot of the smaller operations don't test their bulls and won't guarantee their heifers. I bought 8 heifers from a smaller rancher, 3 of the heifers wouldn't breed, they had growths in their cervix and uterus. The vet said that it was probably a genetic thing. When I told the rancher this he said oh well that was the cattle business. Another experience was a bull that wasn't any good that I purchased from a different ranch. So now I only buy from reputable and well known ranches. This is how I make my living, so this is the way that I run my business.

OK. Now all of you guys can hit that reply button and post your opinions. :) I want you to know that I respect all of your opinions, but you also have to respect that this is my opinion and the way that I run my business. :)

rgv4":73bkszgt said:
[ I was really looking for ranches that are NOT well know.

OK. This is just my opinion and experience so let me completly finish before you all start hitting your reply buttons. :stop:

You know how they say that 1 rotten apple spoils the whole basket, well I no longer buy from the smaller unknown ranchers because on a couple of experiences that I've had in the last few years. Alot of the smaller operations don't test their bulls and won't guarantee their heifers. I bought 8 heifers from a smaller rancher, 3 of the heifers wouldn't breed, they had growths in their cervix and uterus. The vet said that it was probably a genetic thing. When I told the rancher this he said oh well that was the cattle business. Another experience was a bull that wasn't any good that I purchased from a different ranch. So now I only buy from reputable and well known ranches. This is how I make my living, so this is the way that I run my business.

OK. Now all of you guys can hit that reply button and post your opinions. :) I want you to know that I respect all of your opinions, but you also have to respect that this is my opinion and the way that I run my business. :)[/quote]

Why not still purchase from a small rancher who will back his cattle? Many of us little guys buy our seedstock when we start out from reputable sources. Talk to other customers first. By the way, Campground, those are some good-looking cattle. Txshmom, are you interested in good cattle from neighboring states as well?

rgv4..........So now I only buy from reputable and well known ranches. This is how I make my living, so this is the way that I run my business.

OK. Now all of you guys can hit that reply button and post your opinions. I want you to know that I respect all of your opinions, but you also have to respect that this is my opinion and the way that I run my business

And respect your opinon I do.Business is business

if you have found someone that treats you fair why change......... :D

rgv4":1a66t5bq said:
So now I only buy from reputable and well known ranches. This is how I make my living, so this is the way that I run my business.
I want you to know that I respect all of your opinions, but you also have to respect that this is my opinion and the way that I run my business.
Your money, your business. But saying that all smaller breeders are out to cheat you, or don't care about a satisfied customer involves the same mentality as saying all Lims are idiots and all Herefords have eye trouble. I'd say that whatever works for you, continue to do it!

rgv4":13xno2ei said:
[ well I no longer buy from the smaller unknown ranchers because on a couple of experiences that I've had in the last few years.

)

Are you saying that small breeders don't test and gaurantee their cattle but all large outfits do.
IMO The small breeder; if he/she wants to build a good reputation may offer as good or better gaurantees than the large reputation outfits.

Do you think that a few oil wells in the back yard makes a solid cattle breeder. I think not. JMHO.

That's too bad that you've had bad luck with "smaller breeders".. hopefully those are the exceptions not the rule!

We always guarantee everything that we sell. We sold 40 Simbrah cows to a rancher in Gatesville years ago, and when he had them palpated 2 months after buying them, one showed open. We told him to bring her back, and we gave him his money back, no questions asked. He was surprised.. said he'd never had anyone do that before. But he's been a good customer ever since, and has recommended us as well. The price of the one cow, which incidentally did calf 5 months later, was well worth the refund. If you're going to sell seedstock, you'd better stand behind your product. And I always felt that you shouldn't sell anything that you wouldn't take back!

Ochs Brothers of Gunnison, Colorado had 19 production sales, averaging around 100 bulls sold per sale. They had the finest Canadian Horned Herefords that I know of, never chased fads, specializing in "thickness bred on, not fed on," and meat on top. Their bulls were long, thick, and deep. Never artificially pushed, ready to go to work. I have spoken to several other breeders who've used their bulls or knew of them, and these were not big PR breeders that I talked to. They had nothing but good to say. That's a long way of saying that Harper Cattle LLC bought the Ochs herd when their lease ran out, and there is a sale featuring Ochs bulls and Harper Angus bulls on Oct.9 at their Venus, Texas Ranch. Call 817-253-9888. The Angus sires are Sitz, JR,& ER. The Ochs used Jim Hole bloodlines. There is a website listed http://www.ochsbros.com The sale will feature 40 Angus and black-baldie heifers, 100 Angus and 25 Hereford bulls. Oct. 2nd, they will have a sale at their Wagon Mound,NM ranch with 110 Hereford and 25 Angus bulls, and the 40 heifers ready to breed. The number there is 505-447-4034. If you go to the website, go to herd sires and click on OB Joyful, perhaps the most awesome bull I've ever seen.

Latest posts