Attack cows

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
I found one big disadvantage to having attack cows.
Finally managed to get a coyote coming in to a call. It decided to take a short cut through the pasture the cows were in. They must have been board cause they ran it back the way it had come. Didn't see it again

dun

That's my problem. My attack cows won't even let the coyotes come in the pasture.they run thru my neighbors place and go behind me to the water tank at my other neighbors place. Can't even get off a shot. I guess the yotes aren't afraid of my neighbors cows or they may be in a different pasture or may not be attack cows. :roll:

That can be irritating. When calling the main thing to pay attention to is wind direction. Another big thing that ties into wind is where the cows are. They would just as soon avoid a herd of cows if they have their druthers. Unless the coyote is real close when you start calling it will almost always approach from downwind – even if it's upwind when it hears you and has to make a big circle. I guess what I'm having trouble saying is that it can be frustrating to call if you're calling upwind from a herd of cattle. Other factors are terrain for picking a good vantage points and field of fire, and cover/concealment if calling in the daytime.

It sure is fun working a coyote in with a call.

Craig-TX

The reason I commented on them being bored is because they'll usually ignore yotes unless they're right in the middle of them or they have calves. Calves wont start hitting the gorund for a couple of weeks yet. The loonys had to run a couple of hundred yards to get to it.

dun

Last fall I watched two "yotes"trot right through a herd of grazing cows without much more than a few glances from the cows.When they got past the last of the cows in the open, I .243ed one from the front porch, he staggered down the hill,with every cows attention ,fell over kicking, and every cow in the pasture ran to it,could'nt have been packed tighter if they were penned. A couple of the whitefaces had blood all over their heads.Must have been payback from calving season.

On the subject of protective cows, this morning I slipped into the pasture to tag a new calf. The mother eased back and kept a 50 yard buffer, but when we caught the calf and it started bawling, the whole dang herd came running to the rescue, bulls first. I got a pretty good laugh at a bunch of fat mommas and groaning bulls bouncing across the pasture in unison to come check out the comotion. As soon as I walked away they all had to get a wif of the calf to figure what had occured. As someone else previously mentioned, it's really a pleasure to just watch cows go about the business of being cows.

Calves seem to be particularly curious. I can go out and sit in the pasture and I'll have a circle of calves around me. The cows just kind of look over and see it's me and that I don't have a treat bucket and go back to their business. But they'll come up and gather around and lay down and chew their cuds. A stranger in the pasture and all of the girls form a cordon around them. If I have to do any fence work for the neighbor I have a real following as his cows jsut hang around, I guess they're wanting to learn how I fixed the fence so they can better know how to get it un-fixed.

dun

Latest posts