At what temps Highs & Lows will fescue dominate bermuda?

Help Support CattleToday:

redangus

Reaction score
I've always heard that fescue will dominate bermuda when the low temps get in the 50's. Is this pretty accurate?

Outrigger2":1tmk79wi said:
yes. fall and spring time

I ask because I just put out 100# of urea per acre on bermuda/fescue pastures 10 days ago. I'm just starting to get a few nights in the 50's. Low of 54 tonight. I wanted as much push for my fescue as possible.

Yes it is true when the night get cool fescue will grow best. We have bermuda and fescue for pastures. We fertilize the fescue in the fall and in early summer the bermuda. We have used litter for fertilizer the past 6 years this makes the bermuda take over the fescue, with commercial fertilizer it was the other way.

with those temps i would say the fescue will do quite well. r u trying to stockpile?

The only catch to the night time temps is that it is also dependent on the day time temp. Anything lower then 77-78 and the fescue will grow like gangbusters. Get to 80 and it slows down significantly, mid 80s and it about stops.

I put fert. on some pasture with fescue and bermuda. Whichever one grows will be great. The cows will eat either one or both. Just need growth and at this point it doesn't matter as long as it is grass. The common bermuda in our pastures has really spread this year even with extreme drought,guess it had no competition.It's about the only thing some of our cows had to survive on and they have done well.

ERNIBIGB":2zt0dim7 said:
I put fert. on some pasture with fescue and bermuda. Whichever one grows will be great. The cows will eat either one or both. Just need growth and at this point it doesn't matter as long as it is grass. The common bermuda in our pastures has really spread this year even with extreme drought,guess it had no competition.It's about the only thing some of our cows had to survive on and they have done well.

Rather then bermuda, here it's crabgrass that's providing the grazing right now. Since the temps cooled off a week or so ago I can see that the fescue is trying to get started, but it's still shaded by the crabgrass.

Yea we got some crabgrass too and for now that is good. I've seen cows get fat on good crabgrass. It can help get them in better shape going in to winter.