At the sale barn.

Help Support CattleToday:

Purchasing a calf from a cow suspected of having Johne's and then quarantining it really doesn't solve your potential problem Sir Loin.

"Newborn animals must be protected from infection by being born and raised in a clean environment and fed milk and water free of MAP contamination. The primary source of MAP contamination is manure from an infected adult animal."

You can treat the symptoms but I don't know of any absolute cures

ALACOWMAN":1e3rr6la said:
glad you aint my neighbor then.. im constantly worried about my neighbors dragging in a infected animal, and not just johnes ether,,after all we do share flies and air together
Not to mention the bacteria can live in the soil for years.

If a infected head is in a pen at the sale barn, aren't all other head at risk for infection? Not to mention any other run thru that pen at future dates? How to the barns combat this issue. There's no way they can disinfect after each sale

hooknline":2g1pmg22 said:
If a infected head is in a pen at the sale barn, aren't all other head at risk for infection? Not to mention any other run thru that pen at future dates? How to the barns combat this issue. There's no way they can disinfect after each sale

It's my understanding (might be wrong about this) that the cattle pick up the organism while eating grass where nearby manure is infected or by drinking water that has been infected. They ingest the organism. The salebarn cattle either would already be infected (and it may not show up for years) or they eat hay/grain that is in contact with the organism or drink infected water while at the salebarn and become infected themselves. There is no for sure way of knowing unless extensive testing were done to every animal and to the soil on a regular basis.

Most illnesses are soil or manure borne. But I've seen how much mud gets flying when a pen gets worked up while running thru. Walls etc. Just curious how much risk is there and how the barn deal with the issue. KT, care to weigh in on this?

James T
Re:
Purchasing a calf from a cow suspected of having Johne's and then quarantining it really doesn't solve your potential problem Sir Loin.
Hows that?
If it tests pos, it goes to UT to educate new ( LA ) vets or into a hole in the ground. If someone else buys it, it would stay in the food chain and possibly contaminate 100s of other animals before slaughter.
So what's my problem?
I quarantine it and disinfect after it is gone. So where's the problem?
SL

Sir Loin":1zh4smo1 said:
James T
Re:
Hows that?
If it tests pos, it goes to UT to educate new ( LA ) vets or into a hole in the ground. If someone else buys it, it would stay in the food chain and possibly contaminate 100s of other animals before slaughter.
So what's my problem?
I quarantine it and disinfect after it is gone. So where's the problem?
SL

In your case, an endless supply of money to purchase high risk Johnes calves to donate to the University or throw into hole (which is not how your post started), there may be no problem. But, to other buyers, who are not aware of Johnes Disease, and do not have the money throw away, understanding Johnes may save them some bucks.

There's a ton of stuff out there besides Johnes that came be brought home.

There are cattle ailments that I can cure totally on my own. If I can spot that ailment, buy it for the right price, take it home to isolate it (there's only 16 acres there), cure the animal, it becomes a money making transaction.

Healthy animals can pick up sickness at the sale barn.

I don't want to deal with Johnes ever, but I do understand the concept Sir Loin in discussing. You take an educated risk but it is not really a risk if you can fix it. Some times you do indeed lose. Some folks never take a risk.

I would agree completely with you Backhoe. There are a lot of good deals to be made at a salebarn for those with an experienced and keen eye. I watched a buddy buy a cow that appeared to have Woody Tongue. He treated it, the cow got well and ended up being a producer.

Johnes Disease is a whole nother matter. In the original post it was believed with an 80% certainty that the cow had Johnes. And that was the subject of my response.

hooknline":3kyxilo6 said:
Most illnesses are soil or manure borne. But I've seen how much mud gets flying when a pen gets worked up while running thru. Walls etc. Just curious how much risk is there and how the barn deal with the issue. KT, care to weigh in on this?

I have been reading with interest and have a couple of comments. Sir Loin, if you are smart enough to get one bought for 450 when it is worth 900 good for you and if I could I would run it back through the market and have the profit in hand and never worry about it. Too many healthy cattle go through the market every week for me to take a 80% chance one has Johnes. I know a lot of buyers in your area and I will have to tell them to do a better job of watching the cattle. :lol:

I have not had the best of luck with this and just avoid the animal if I can. I occasionally still get one. Maybe once every 5 years that developes the outward signs. As far as slaughter I have sold them into TN and KY as well as VA and they all go straight to slaughter with no time in between.

kenny thomas":1ngboxjj said:
hooknline":1ngboxjj said:

I have been reading with interest and have a couple of comments. Sir Loin, if you are smart enough to get one bought for 450 when it is worth 900 good for you and if I could I would run it back through the market and have the profit in hand and never worry about it. Too many healthy cattle go through the market every week for me to take a 80% chance one has Johnes. I know a lot of buyers in your area and I will have to tell them to do a better job of watching the cattle. :lol:

I have not had the best of luck with this and just avoid the animal if I can. I occasionally still get one. Maybe once every 5 years that developes the outward signs. As far as slaughter I have sold them into TN and KY as well as VA and they all go straight to slaughter with no time in between.

Oh forgot hooknline, our barn is cleaned at least once a month and the state sprays it every two months but I still know things can happen. I think there is a chance of spreading it anytime one is there. Some talk about taking their cattle in the day before, well even more chance the hay or water could become contamidated.

backhoeboogie

Re:
There are cattle ailments that I can cure totally on my own. If I can spot that ailment, buy it for the right price, take it home to isolate it (there's only 16 acres there), cure the animal, it becomes a money making transaction.
You are absolutely right. And not all conditions are contagious.
I just love to buy lame cattle.

First, everyone in the barn can clearly see what the problem is and they know they don't have the facilities or knowledge to deal with it, or they do, but don't want to gamble they can fix the problem.
Second the slaughterhouse doesn't want to gamble on it because of the fear of it becoming a downer and a total loss.
IMO, lame cows are the best buy going, as most are lame from an abscess caused by a stone bruise and can easily be treated and cured.
I have bought a lame $1000 cow for as low as $200 and treated the abscess for under $25.
SL

James T

I probably didn't word that properly.
The cow, at 80% was never going home with me. If I bought her, I would split her from her calf and put her in the "kill" pen at the very same barn and time "by the lb" sale.
The calf however would go home with me as the chance of Johne's was only 50/50.
For the calf it would be a coin flip and I was betting $16 against $354.
To me it was worth the gamble.
SL

Latest posts