At the risk of repeating myself...

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
I wound up with a new calf. Some brown thing, I don't know. I think my husband picked it up for 25.00. When we got it home, it took a bottle of colostrum no problems. Next day, it was scouring a little so I got out the electrolytes. Darn thing wouldn't suck. I have seen him drink water and nose at the hay. He's a little bitty thing. Husband's gone to the feed store to see if they have a smaller nipple he'll take. He isn't congested, no fever, scours are gone for now. He's just the devil to feed. Sucks then stops. Takes forever to get half a bottle down him. And I'm not here during the day anymore to multiple feedings.

What am I missing? All kinds of fun here. I don't have much tied up in him in the way of money, but I hate to lose him. I know these things sound like a broken record. Selenium? Time?

I'll never let my spouse out of my sight again on sale day.

At the risk of drawing someone's ire, should I drench him? He's not tenting yet, but they dehydrate so fast. I have never had one do this.

You said you have seen him drink water? If you leave water in the stall all the time he may be staying full on water. I'd take the water out.

Just from past experience, this is not good. Lammie, determination by tenting sucks, IMO. Look at the calf's eyes...are they bugged out? Does he act weak. If so, tube him the electrolytes.

How old do you think the calf is? If he was a few days old when you got him, then the colostrum won't do any good.

Also, a lot of times scours can be just water and it'll just look like they peed rather than scoured on the ground.

I'm gonna get hammered here, but that's ok, 'cause I'm really afraid this calf is on the cusp of living or dying. So, get some strawberry jello and pour it into the bottle of electrolytes and into the bottle of milk replacer, 'cause as much as electrolytes are important, so is the milk replacer. See if the calf will take the bottle. You might get lucky.

And, Lammie, probios the crud outta that calf.

Alice

Alice":9jpi4l3o said:
So, get some strawberry jello and pour it into the bottle of electrolytes and into the bottle of milk replacer, 'cause as much as electrolytes are important, so is the milk replacer. See if the calf will take the bottle. You might get lucky.

why the jello??? and why strawberry????

mdmdogs3":1jgkqvrs said:
Alice":1jgkqvrs said:
So, get some strawberry jello and pour it into the bottle of electrolytes and into the bottle of milk replacer, 'cause as much as electrolytes are important, so is the milk replacer. See if the calf will take the bottle. You might get lucky.

why the jello??? and why strawberry????

Jello has calories in it. And around here, the calves love Strawberry...it's like the taste is strong, maybe. I've used peach, and orange, and lime, but strawberry seems to be the flavor of choice. :D

The down side...jello also has sugar in it...and some calves can't process the sugar. But, hey, when I get to a point that I figure it's "cure 'em or kill 'em time," I'll do it, and offer no apologies.

Alice

I guess I would try selenium and some B vitamins to try and stimulate his appetite. If you can't be home for multiple feedings I would tube him atleast in the morning and try the bottle in the evening if you have more time to try. That way you are sure he is getting at least something to sustain him through the day. If he isn't scouring then I would giving him just milk replacer.

Another good way to check for dehydration although the dehydration is more advanced at this time is to check the calf's muzzle and extremities. If they feel cold or colder than they should the calf is dehydrated and you need to pump fluid into him. My vet told me that a small calf can be drenched with up to 2 1/2 gallons of fluid per day. More if the dehydration is severe.

If you want to give him some probiotics put about a cup or so of yogurt in his milk replacer. Flavored or plain doesn't matter, especially if your tubing. Has the same effect as the paste, but is much cheaper. I personally buy the plain all natural yogurt, no extra sugar like in the flavored, but it really doesn't matter.

Also if you think he might be sipping water out of a bucket, try putting his milk in a bucket or shallow pan and see if he will drink it that way. Not as good as getting out of the bottle, but atleast he would be drinking it.

I know you have experience with bottle calves, but just remember if you are going to mix the electorlytes with the milk replacer, make sure the electrolytes are made for doing that. Most are not, says to wait 2 hours after milk or give 2 hours before milk. A brand we have around here ReSorb specifically states it CAN be mixed with milk replacer. That is my electrolyte of choice.

Hope this might help you a little. Good Luck with the little guy.

give a shot of vit A+E, mix well beaten egg in each bottle for several day. calf needs the milk. maybe why he went to sale not sucking. cut bigger hole in nipple. watch for scours- but it may not be pooping at all.

I'd try him with a sheep nipple. A lot of times a little bitty calf will suck a sheep nipple when they won't suck a calf nipple. Might also think about either boiling the nipple for a short time to make it more pliable, or coating it with molasses or Karo syrup.

guest25":b9ktqjh5 said:
msscamp":b9ktqjh5 said:
I'd try him with a sheep nipple. A lot of times a little bitty calf will suck a sheep nipple when they won't suck a calf nipple. Might also think about either boiling the nipple for a short time to make it more pliable, or coating it with molasses or Karo syrup.

5 ccs b complex in the muscle in the neck will stimulate his appetite can be done for more than 1 day read the bottle. cost about $10.00 for a bottle.

selinium with ade one time under the skin no more than 1 1/2 ccs

the b complex as a rule they are very agressive at the next feeding

good luck.

Aggressive don't do crap if they are too small to handle the nipple. Thanks, but I don't need your good luck wishes.

guest25":1jzk2037 said:
msscamp":1jzk2037 said:
guest25":1jzk2037 said:
msscamp":1jzk2037 said:

5 ccs b complex in the muscle in the neck will stimulate his appetite can be done for more than 1 day read the bottle. cost about $10.00 for a bottle.

selinium with ade one time under the skin no more than 1 1/2 ccs

the b complex as a rule they are very agressive at the next feeding

good luck.

Aggressive don't do crap if they are too small to handle the nipple. Thanks, but I don't need your good luck wishes.

for the record i was not addressing the nipple part of the thread. quite simply two others had mentioned vitamin b and selinium and also it was made mention that the calf just wallered the nipple aroundin its mouth. so i was addressing the vitaminb and selinium not the sheep nipple.

there is a difference in simply vitamin b and b complex b complex is to help in all the above

for the record the sheep nipple was sound advice msscamp

sorry msscamp i hit the quote button instead of the post reply so i apologize for making it look like i was addressing your comments. quite simply hit the wrong button. please accept my humble apology. i just goofed up.

respectfully guest25

No problem, it happens. FWIW - you're right, there is a big difference between simple vitamin B and B-complex vitamins.

I drenched him with the electrolytes this morning. I read this afterward, so I didn't get to do the jello, but I'll sure try it. He was alert this morning. Alice, I have no idea how old he was, so that was why I did the colostrum. I am just amazed that he sucked it then and just quit. This is one of those times I wish I was still staying home so that I could watch him. I have the probios and I have been trying to get that down him. Like I said, I dont have any money tied up in him, per se, but now I feel responsible for him and I very much want him to make it. Thanks for listening to the unlimate hobby woman. :oops:

PS, he did seem pretty alert and a little more coordinated. It is hard to tell if he was just trying to use his little long legs or if he was weak. I'd go with weak. I'll keep you informed. Keep the fingers crossed for this little sh*t!

Lammie":2tqkgiig said:
PS, he did seem pretty alert and a little more coordinated. It is hard to tell if he was just trying to use his little long legs or if he was weak. I'd go with weak. I'll keep you informed. Keep the fingers crossed for this little sh*t!

from what everyone is typing, nutrition is the key. i would get on a good quality milk replacer asap

Roadapple":hveve5lu said:
If he was dehydrated would'nt his eyes be sunken instead of bug-eyed?

Yes, and that is definitely my bad! I don't know what the heck I was talking about. It's sunk in!

Alice

Looked better this afternoon. He was standing when I went to the pen. I drenched him with electrolytes and jello. Then my son got him out in the sun and pasture and walked him around. Seemed to be more coordinated. Didn't try to lay down. His nose is starting to run. :mad: We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Sounds like a calf I had about 2 months ago, never liked drinking much of anything, bottle, bucket, couldn't wean him, had to baby him along, then first cold weather snap, he got sick and died. Some calves I think are just weak from birth, something not right, no matter how hard you try, they only go from bad to worse. Being you have no history on this calf, I foresee more problems in the long run.

GMN

I got a little tiny week old jersey calf at the sale about six weeks ago for $10 because no one else would bid on him. He would only take about 1 quart of milk replacer each morning and nothing in the evenings. So many times I thought about bagging him in the evenings, but he kept looking okay and once you start bagging it's hard to get them off. I gave him bo se, vit B complex and waited him out because he never appeared dehydrated, just not very hungry.

I finally figured out that he was lonely. I put him with the other bigger calves and he took right off, taking his milk, eating grain, and nibbling on hay. Is your calf by himself? Just an idea.

Latest posts