Associations

Help Support CattleToday:

I have kept my membership active in my national breed association for the past 15 years.
I kept my membership in an adjoining county cattlemen association past 5 years
I rejoined my state and districts breed association this year and joined a adjoining state association this year.
I not active in any of the associations its my choice.
We have to join state and district breed associations to participate in their shows and sales.
I make it a practice not to be active. Usually a certain core of people stay in leadership roles and it take a special person that really enjoys it.
Our county cattleman association has had the same large family control it for the past 30 years.

Member of breed association, got out of all the rest.
I was pres of the local here for a year, for here i think i know why theres no involvement or young folks. I was at the time mid 40s so middle of the road, im a little more progressive in my thinking so the older folks didnt want to hear anything, I tried to get things where we could buy thinga as a group and save money for everyone, all they wanted to know was if I was gonna carry the note for them until sale time, with a 25% savings on most things and most of them having more money than they could spend.
The,younger ones dont want to be there and listen to nothing. One of the younger ones said hed much rather take his dues, meet at the breakfast bar an at least leave full.
At the state level there was so many lies I just left them all, there has been a changing of the guard so I may get back in. I do like the trade shows at the state, and ncba.

I have discovered that you find politics in any organization, my word look at what has been going on in the Angus Association for the past year. I served as Secretary of the Florida Angus Association for three years (98-2000) then as President for a year (2001). I enjoyed my term as Secretary, the year I served as President will go down as one of the worst years of my life. I found you just could not please everyone, my stress level that year was off the chart. We live as far north and west in the state as you can get so my average driving time for a meeting was 6 hours. Most events were 8 to 10 hours. I still tried to make these events, and was still working full time. I found that I was a much better Secretary than President. On the plus side we made some lifetime friends during our participation in the Association that made the stress worthwhile. I believe we need these associations to keep our industry strong. We need more people to get involved to make sure that we are not regulated out of business.

Gizmom

We are involved in the Georgia Cattlemens and the Young Farmers. We meet almost every month for supper. At the Cattlemens dinner steaks are served and the local businesses sponsor the supper. The Young Farmers are not sponsored by local businesses. So most of the time the ladies will bring their special dishes and the guys will cook some kind of meat. My wife always does the desserts. The fellowship with like minded folks is one of my highlights of the month for me.
Anyone going to the Young Farmers convention in Stone Mountain GA, it's the last weekend of this month? We'll be there supporting Dodge county.

American Simmental Association
American Angus Association
Red Angus Association
Wagyu Association
Georgia Cattleman's Assoc
Georgia Simmental
Florida Simmental
KY Simmental
TX Simmental
NC Simmental
WI Simmental

Our local cattleman's is not nearly as active as it once was. We still have a huge dinner once a year. Give several nice scholarships, and have a two day rodeo. The rodeo has evolved in to quit a social event, and is well attended. We also have a special needs rodeo for all the children in our county prior to the rodeo.

kenny thomas":i3wti486 said:
gizmom":i3wti486 said:
I sure hate that our local chapter isn't doing anything, which brings up a question. What can we do to get folks coming to meetings? Are the young folks not attending because they just don't have the time or do they feel if they need information it is just a click away?

Gizmom
We are a young association, young in time we have been an association not young in members age. We have only around 60 members and their families. We have the same problems getting people to get involved. I am open for any ideas.
I'm 30 and joined our local Cattlemen's the month I turn 21. Our group meets every month. Hosts Christmas party for board members and wives/girlfriends. Our monthly meeting association pays for our drinks, we pay for supper. Same place meeting same time every month. I get my membership money back by just going and having a few with the boys. Some months there is no business, other months we have 2 hours of business. Our deal works because it's fun. When we host grillings we always stop and have a drink at closest place, we have people that care about the industry, and we all agree to disagree. There are a few members that never talk to each other but can get along to get something done.

We must do something right in 9 years I've seen 2 young guys that only came to one meeting and never again. We have 12-15 guys that show up dang near every month and to the grillings. Make it fun and give something back to active members, our local dairy board is not and I'm 2 months away from not doing that anymore!

Bigfoot":12aohatz said:
Our local cattleman's is not nearly as active as it once was. We still have a huge dinner once a year. Give several nice scholarships, and have a two day rodeo. The rodeo has evolved in to quit a social event, and is well attended. We also have a special needs rodeo for all the children in our county prior to the rodeo.

What are these special needs rodeos? My imagination is running wild with the possibilities.. Are the cattle used "special needs" too?

Nesikep":36s0t76x said:
Bigfoot":36s0t76x said:

What are these special needs rodeos? My imagination is running wild with the possibilities.. Are the cattle used "special needs" too?

I would wager a guess that the children have some form of physical disability. There is a riding stable nearby that is set up for children with special needs (handicapped).

Nesikep":1xud06sy said:
Bigfoot":1xud06sy said:

No, children with special needs. Petting zoo area, is as close as they get to an animal. Fun events similar to rodeo, but not involving danger.

Ahh, OK.. that's really good for them I think. I could see the wonderment in my best friend's daughters eyes (she 4 years old, lives in Taipei Taiwan) when she could pet the cow.

Latest posts