Association Membership

Help Support CattleToday:

BrownCow

Reaction score
My 14 year old newphew has a question and I don't know the answer to it. You see he thinks that raising registered Gelbviehs,like I plan to,would be fun. So he got the membership forms and it says that "juniors" can't sign registrations and transfers and such. So here is his question; Since their is no real age requirement to go and do the "Active Membership" option where you can sign registrations and such can he legally do that? I don't know that is why I am asking you all....... :cboy:

Thanks
BC

Usually you have to be 18 to sign a legal contract which in a way a registration paper is.

I am not familiar with the rules and policies of the AGA, but I would still recommend the Junior membership and have a parent, or you, sign off on his paperwork. For several reasons-
The full membership undoubtedly costs more money even if it's "legal".
A 14-year-old newbie isn't really qualified to vote for Board of Directors or Bylaws changes.
It's a good idea to have a second set of eyes go over the registration/transfer paperwork anyway before it gets submitted.
There might be scholarships or other Junior benefits that he would miss out on with an adult membership.

Just my 2 cents, and also I am glad to see a young person interested in raising purebred cattle!!

Sign him up for a junior membership. There are many great things the GV association does for it's junior members, one of them is scholarships. Call your AGV association and talk to the secretary about which route is best for you to take. She is very nice and extremely helpful. :)

BTW your nephew has a great choice in breeds.. :p :D

Gee, why not check with the association so you can get the right answer?

Latest posts