Assault rifle

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Alan's thread got me wondering. How do some of you define an assault rifle? The look, material, caliber, capacity?
Is this one

90A50C7A-1BC7-49A1-B6E6-F42DE8368B3B.jpg

How about now
93B9C94E-AF7A-4ECE-BEC7-AEC7E75D0C54.jpg

I'm interested to see where this discussion goes. What exactly do you define an assault rifle as

To me look and capacity. Folding stocks, supressors, tac rails, high capactity magazines, etc. I would say yes to both as it is capable of accepting a high capacity magazine.

How many rounds defines high capacity? I have a tube fed 22 that will take 15.

I would define assault rifle as anything a army would carry or has carried as a weapon I would also go as far as to say something not intended for " GAME" hunting use. I agree with what J&D listed. The high capacity mags doesn't mean its a assault weapon some 22's have high capacity mags but are not assault rifles.

The military carries full auto rifles, or select fire. Not semi automatic.
And military used to and still does carry pump 12g shotguns. With out any plugs they can carry up to 10 shells.

hooknline":31bgs3z5 said:
The military carries full auto rifles, or select fire. Not semi automatic.
And military used to and still does carry pump 12g shotguns. With out any plugs they can carry up to 10 shells.

I know that but I was giving you as how I associated assault rifle. I know they have select fire I carried one in the trunk for 3 years. Now you are muddying the waters in your own thread with bringing in shotguns. Many of the weapons including the one in your picture are based off military weapons is another way I could have approached the question.

assault is the act of creating apprehension of an imminent harmful or offensive contact with a person
all guns, sticks, hammers, cars, rocks are assault weapons no matter what they look like.

I cringe every time I hear the word assault rifle it is a weapon and a weapon only.

I have owned a ruger 10/22 for many years, wood stock and fun. With the 10 shot rotary magizine it looks like any other rifle to most folks. I also have a few 35 round magizines then it looks like an assault rifle to most folks ...... I will hold on to the high capacity magizines.

To me an assault rifle looks like a mility issue rifle. I know a mini 14 will do the exact same thing and fire the same loads as a AR 15. But one is an assault rifle and one is a rifle.

One more point, if you laid a AR 15 and a mini 14, with a standard magizine, on a table at a mall and asked the general public which rifle would cause you more concern if you saw someone walking down a country road carry it? Which one would cause more concern do you think.

Neither rifle in the pics I would consider an assault rifle.

As one friend put it recently:
"define the term. I don't use it because it doesn't exist.

I can assault you with any rifle.

Just another way of trying to make something sound like it's more than it is: Assault rifle, good running Ford diesel, etc. "

Alan, te rifle I pictures is an sks carried by the Chinese. Same as an ak47 basically. And even that's not an assault rifle in my book. The above quote explains my view as well

My Mosin was carried by the Red army for over forty years and it has a bayonet (watch the ceiling when you stand up), but I would not consider it an "assault rifle". I have a half built AR-15, but I do not consider this an "assault rifle". Neither one of these have ever assaulted anyone. I would consider ANY rifle a person is using to harm someone as an assault rifle, I E assaulted with a rifle. This is the only way I can see that you could describe an assault rifle, not based on looks or action.

I'll be right back with pictures of my assault slingshot. It's collapsible, and has a synthetic grip. If i tape my night vision to it I can slay a rabbit at 20 yards at night and it won't even see it coming

I define assault rifle as a rifle used to commit assault. If your not assaulting anything then it's a rifle no matter what size of mag. it's got.

I don't like the term assualt rifle, I don't use it and I think if you take it literally and really think about how it sounds, it's ignorant. But if you look it up from what I've found " assualt rifle " refers to a rifle that is selective fire between semi auto, fully auto and 3 round burst, has a magazine that holds over 20 rounds and is carried by the military. That's the best information I could get, and I still think it sounds stupid.

Take the term at its basis. Assault...to offend or attack someone. Rifle....most any long gun but not limited to long guns.
The term itself is stupid and only intended to garner a reaction. Much like this post