As if you didn't already know....

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I'm a SOB'n irishman. I showed my true colors yesterday so the cat is out of the bag. You see I lease a farm to some hunters and in our agreement I have asked them to NOT lock me out of the property but to place their lock into a chain that I have provided so each of us will have our own locks and our locks are interconnected within the chain. This unreasonable request has gone unheeded for two years. No big deal since I don't go on the property that often and a pair of bolt cutters makes quick work of the chain. However, I am having some people do work on the property and I unlocked the gates and called the hunters and told them what was going on and to NOT lock the gates. Got a call last week from the contractor and he was locked out. I let him in but had to cut the chain again cause the hunters had locked me out of the chain. Called the hunters and reexplained things and asked them not to lock the gates. Friday morning I found that I was locked out yet again. At 9:00 a.m I was on the phone to the club president telling him to get their stuff off the property. He asked me to give them a second chance. Being a SOB I said NO. Got a phone call at 10:30 last night from a fella trying to serve as a mediator. He offered some excuses and such and wanted to know if I would reconsider my decision. Being a SOB, I said NO. Its hard to be a SOB but somebody has to do it.

To add some sense of validity to my claim, a few minutes after I hung up the phone with him a telemarketer called the office wanting me to hire them to collect bad debts. I explained this was a rare event and didn't need his services. Not willing to take NO for an answer he said, "well how are you going to collect the bad debts if someone goes bankrupt!?" I told him, "Well if you don't know the answer to that question Why on earth would I want to hire you?" and hung up the phone. Yeah, I'm a SOB plain and simple don't cha think?

Don't worry Jo I figured out along time ago that I was born an a$$hole and just grew bigger
if anyone doesn't beleive me they can call my wife :lol: :lol:

It would makes things alot easier if evryone would just do what they are supposed to do and I would have done the same thing as you

Know the feeling. Had some people that I let hunt on my property for several years. I liked them hunting as we have an over abundance of deer. One problem is I couldn't keep them on my property. After repeated warnings I finally had to tell them not to come back anymore. I lost some friends but got the approval of several neighbors. Kinda makes you feel like a real SOB.
Fred

Awheck Joe if it weren't for us SOB's who would keep all the riff raff in check? :nod:

About the time they disguarded my lock they may have been ousted. A second time for sure.

Gee Jo I would have booted them after the second lock.
If those ding bats could not work with you after the first cut lock then the problem is theirs and not yours and the SOB tag is NOT on you. :D

Angus Cowman":cl4m02aj said:
It would makes things alot easier if evryone would just do what they are supposed to do

Isn't that the truth. I hate it but some people just don't get it and I don't even think pictures would help them understand. I view a hunting lease as a neccessary evil. Don't like them but they do help pay the taxes. Some clubs are fantastic and others are a thorn. I feel better that I'm in such good company and am glad I'm not the only summbeech on the board. ;-) :lol2:

To my knowledge there is not a hunting lease within 30 miles of me and i hope it stays that way. As for the locks i have been there before Jo. They got what they had coming.

I'd be careful for a couple weeks, my great grandpa kicked some hunters out (they weren't suposed to be there in the first place) and the jackasses went back and shot a yearling out of one of his best Pacers. :mad:

FarmGirl10":ckv428kd said:
I'd be careful for a couple weeks, my great grandpa kicked some hunters out (they weren't suposed to be there in the first place) and the jackasses went back and shot a yearling out of one of his best Pacers. :mad:

I handled it well. Didn't get personal or anything like that. Never raised my voice. Just explained to them the facts. They know they were wrong and I gave them ample chances to remedy their problems. While I think they are slow and maybe a bit dim-witted I don't think they are crazy. I learned a long time ago that you can avoid a lot of grief if your adversary thinks you are crazier than they are and I also believe if you messed Lassie enough - she'd bite your hand off. I'm a lot like Lassie. ;-) :lol2: (we both have the same color eyes anyway) :lol2:

I luv herfrds":2sp4bajh said:
Gee Jo I would have booted them after the second lock.
If those ding bats could not work with you after the first cut lock then the problem is theirs and not yours and the SOB tag is NOT on you. :D

Pretty much what I was thinking. To take it a step further, it sounds like these folks were either stupid or being stubborn SOBs themselves. I'm not sure I'd want either kind walking around my property with guns. You did the right thing and you did it the right way.

As to being a SOB myself, one of my favorite expressions to people like this is:

"What part of NO don't you understand"

You were overly generous in giving them more than one chance. And by the way, I tote bolt cutters at all times. :nod:

jo don't sound like you were a SOB at all you just told them the way it is gonna be if they had listen to you this could have been avoied in the first place you give some an inch they end up trying to take a mile .Sound's like you done alright.

rattler

rattler":3qaw5bnz said:
jo don't sound like you were a SOB at all you just told them the way it is gonna be if they had listen to you this could have been avoied in the first place you give some an inch they end up trying to take a mile .Sound's like you done alright.

rattler

Give em time and a few beers and they will be telling everyone how I treated them so unfairly and that I'm just a sob. Come to think of it, this could be a good thing since maybe the word will get to some of my other leases and they will be sure to abide by our agreement to the letter. Maybe there is a silver lining in this.

Jogeephus":3n7tzhj6 said:
rattler":3n7tzhj6 said:

rattler

Give em time and a few beers and they will be telling everyone how I treated them so unfairly and that I'm just a sob. Come to think of it, this could be a good thing since maybe the word will get to some of my other leases and they will be sure to abide by our agreement to the letter. Maybe there is a silver lining in this.

jo my Dad alway's tell's me that thing's happen for a reason maby this will work to your advantage bet them old boys know now you mean just what you say ;-)

rattler

Jo I had to prove myself this yr during turkey season

I had a guy who I had told I didn't want him hunting on me 2 yrs in a row so this yr he shows up and the wife see's his truck in front of the gate she blocks him in and called a friend that was hunting on me from Oklahoma and he comes to help her in the mean time she tries to call the game warden and can't get him so she call the sherriff he comes out my wife and friend have the trespasser detained and the sherriff writes him a criminal tresspass ticket because he knew he wasn't supposed to be there and the game warden shows up writes him a ticket for killing a turkey with no permit and takes his bird and tells the guy if he tries to fight the ticket he will also go for his hunting rights for 3 yrs and take his gun
I am sorry that it had to come to this but I had told him 2 yrs in a row
some people just never learn
and he was driving 60 miles to come here and hunt doesn't make sense to me because I had told him the 1st yr of a guy that lived within 10 miles of him that would let him hunt and had lots of Turkeys
The bird he killed weighed 25lbs and had a 10' beard and 1' spurs

AC, I'm glad you caught him and I'm glad they tossed the book at him. I can't stand trespassers. Its so hard to catch them dead to rights. Seems they have all the advantages. A couple of weeks ago we caught one I've been trying to catch for over 8 years. He was slick but we finally got him - actually a member in one of the clubs caught him. Warden wanted to know what I wanted done with him. I gave some descriptive suggestions but, unfortunately, my ideas were not constitutional so they fined him hard.

Having the right club on the property can be a good thing. An extra set of eyes and sometimes even a helping hand. It can be a win win situation if you got a club that has some intelligence.

Latest posts