As a commercial herd....

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
As a commercial herd what would be your key breed(s)? Mine would probably be Baford cows running with a char bull........ But then theres always the black cows with a hereford......

Dixieangus":8q9qnqis said:
As a commercial herd what would be your key breed(s)? Mine would probably be Baford cows running with a char bull........ But then theres always the black cows with a hereford......

Hereford cow with an Angus, Brangus, Char, or Brimmer bull. You have options with a red cow.

Im just not a big fan of herefords...... i guess theres just too much junk herefords around here, ex- poor frames, terrible udders, ect... but now i do like a solid red cow

Here in my area it should be black or yellow to be top dog at the end of sale day. That is what I work for.

Brangus cows with a terminal bull. Super baldies or any black ear trimmer for steers. Shorten the ear too much and you take a hit on heifers - unless they are super baldy.

Angus Cowman":35gxvq8w said:
a set of black baldy cows ( hereford/ brangus , not more than an 1/4 ear and preferably a little less
and breed em back to a simangus bull for a terminal calf
:nod: but I put a Char for the terminal.

Isomade":2jfwc5qt said:
Angus Cowman":2jfwc5qt said:
a set of black baldy cows ( hereford/ brangus , not more than an 1/4 ear and preferably a little less
and breed em back to a simangus bull for a terminal calf
:nod: but I put a Char for the terminal.

He doesn't like Herefords and if you want to pay a premium for cattle around here just try buying superbaldies.
The best cross here for heifers is Brimmer over Hereford you just get hammered on the steer calfs.
Brangus over Hereford brings big bucks as well for replacement heifers and you don't get whacked at the barn on the steer calfs. You could get 800 a pop on SB heifers at six months before prices went up. With the sell off here no telling what those girls will bring next year with people looking to add to the herd. Cheaper and easier to build a herd out of Hereford momma's and put a good bull on them the Char, Brangus,Angus, Brimmer crosses all produce a top selling heifer and a top selling steer here with the exception of the Brimmer.

I tried the hereford cows with brangus bulls . cows didn't do well for me . I switched to brangus cows and hereford bulls. But that has to do with climate I'm sure .

When I could buy em at reasonable prices... I have had good luck with beefmasters covered with a Limi bull, but other than that it would be F1 brafords

When I sold only at the sale barn . I liked braford cows with charolis bulls . Calves grew fast and sold right with the blacks but would wean 60,lbs heavier .

Latest posts