As a beginner..

Help Support CattleToday:

FullCircleWVa

Reaction score
I suppose you're gonna have your first calves at some point. Today was that day for me. I worked all night and pulled in this morning to look in the pasture and see my 57 cow standing over a black speck in the grass. That little speck turned out to be a prettye heifer calf, and the first to fall on the farm. It was a bit on the small side, weighing probably only 50-55 lbs but most importantly to me it was alive and perky. I saw momma's back two quarters had been nursed so I just sat back and watched that little girl nap while mom got her fill of hay. I am ecstatic to say the least, as I was pretty anxious about it haha. I have one more cow to calve out and she is due within the next 1-2 days I imagine. Hopefully she has no issues and we have another addition to the farm. What an amazing feeling seeing new life and the process mother nature has. Just incredible.
Little baby head
hello.jpg

My Grandma.. She's 90, just an incredible woman.
grandma.jpg

She couldn't decide if she wanted to play or nurse, but she finally made her mind up!
drink.jpg

Proud momma. I bought her and her 'sister' from a consignment at one of the local barns. She's good so far.
ole mom.jpg

Ready to take on the world! (I told you she was small!!)
stand.jpg

Welp I'm going to go check on the other cow now

FC

I'll never forget the feeling pulling in and seeing what I saw that's for sure MM. I may keep her if she's alright but it's alot of time investment for no return when i can only run a handful of cows or i'd keep her in a heartbeat. Thankfully I'll be around the next 5 days and that cow told me about 25 minutes ago that she's ready to have that calf anytime by the way she was grunting. Hopefully tomorrow, if so i'll try to get some pictures for the calving thread
Heres the other one that is ready any day now "Rubie"
fatty.jpg

Congratulations! That is a great feeling. Looks like a nice group you've got there. That is some good time to spend enjoying with family as well.

@A.J. yessir! best feeling for sure. Thank you! Last year when I got them, they had opposites on their sides, so I reckon they are equal opportunity providers out here lol.
It is the best time with family, everyone can find someway to help out here or there and it's usually all smiles.

Its been a while since I've posted.. mostly due to forgetting my actual log-in name and then it just dawned on me to look back at this post... haha

Anyhow, just want to let ya'll know that this first heifer calved on the farm will be sticking around and becoming part of the herd. She's growing amazing, and honestly the most friendly girl around. Always coming up to me in pasture.. always!

This is that sweet heifer that was born 11/27. Plan to wean her with the others this fall as her dam was held back and just bred here recently for a spring calving.

Attachments

• 35B38CAB-49AA-4530-986D-88DB378454A5.jpeg
    35B38CAB-49AA-4530-986D-88DB378454A5.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 884382F2-4451-4E76-8099-C4C01E4C06E0.jpeg
    884382F2-4451-4E76-8099-C4C01E4C06E0.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16

Latest posts