Artificial Insemination

Help Support CattleToday:

HandB

Reaction score
Do you guys think AI'ing is worth the money if a guy didn't want to run a bull. What is the usuall wait for preg-checks after AI'ed? If a guy waits 60 days or so to preg check and finds a few that didn't stick then breeds again, now you have cows not calving together but about 3 months apart. How many times would you stick them before either sending down the road or turning a bull out? What is the standard practice for getting all cows in synchronized heat to AI at once, is it the Lutalyce program, or ovasinc, or some other program?

I think AI is worth the money if you don't have too many to breed. I used AI for a couple of years. I couldn't get one to take so I got a bull last year to get her bred. The bull I leased didn't get any of them bred - so I AI'd in November when I had them preg checked. Needless to say now I am on a fall calving schedule also! The key to AI is have them where you can watch them closely for signs of heat. After you AI watch them for the next cycle to AI again or see if maybe they took. You can preg check after 45 days of AI or with the bull taken out.

HandB":9gs8cbnw said:
Do you guys think AI'ing is worth the money if a guy didn't want to run a bull. What is the usuall wait for preg-checks after AI'ed? If a guy waits 60 days or so to preg check and finds a few that didn't stick then breeds again, now you have cows not calving together but about 3 months apart. How many times would you stick them before either sending down the road or turning a bull out? What is the standard practice for getting all cows in synchronized heat to AI at once, is it the Lutalyce program, or ovasinc, or some other program?

Select Sires: http://selectsires.com/reproman.html

Yes, I thinkAI is worth the money. But it takes time and dedication to be successful. We have an Excel spreadsheet that tells us when a cow that's been AI-ed would be expected to recycle if she didn't take and we have to be sure to watch her closely around that date. Above is a link to Select Sires that discusses several synch programs. You can ultrasound a cow quicker than 60 days and verify if she's bred or not.

For us, AI is worth the money, but it takes some work. It you are looking to synchronize, breed, and then walk away you'll have problems. Like Frankie said, you need to know the girls cycles and watch them closely. We use MGA/lutylase to synchronize. We started AI using synchronization and timed breeding and were running about a 50 - 70% success rate. Since then we've started doing the AI ourselves (versus using a tech) and inseminate based on observed standing heat. We had 90% first pass success in December (10 cows bred) and luckily caught the other one on the next cycle. That's better than I would expect most times but I'm sure not complaining. We calve both spring and fall so if a cow that we really like misses in the spring, we can shift her to the fall. If she's borderline and misses, we have the highway option. There is a price to pay if you don't want to use a clean up bull. If you decide to AI, go to an AI school, even if you are planning on using a tech.

Lee

AI is worth the money and time. You get a greater selction of bulls and can individually match certain bulls with cows to get the best traits. It takes more time, planning, and execution than just turning a bull out to pasture with "the girls".

Many large operations will synchronize and then follow-up with watching for heat at the next cycle in 3 weeks. As mentioned already, you achieve greater success by folowing the cows natural cycle instead of synchronizing. However, this takes even more time and planning. Most people will use a gomer bull to help in heat detection.

Go to a good AI school and learn all you can.

Want a different opinion? I checked into AI'ing for my cows...I have 6 cows ready to breed now, (actually 1 heifer), and when I called around the techs I spoke with didnt really want to mess with a small timer, and when they heard that I didnt have a pen and a squeeze chute, they all immediately backed out. Not a one of them offered to let me take the cows to them, not that I would of anyway, as it would be too much of a hassle to load the cows up each week or so. The only price I was able to obtain from a couple of them said it would run in the $75-$100 range, depending on the semen selected. There is no guarantee that the cow will become pregnant, and for another $100 you can do it again!
So by the time I figured up the costs of the tech, the loading of the cows, and the watching of the cycles, it just seemed very much a hassle to me. And if you are going to run a clean up bull on them afterwards, then all you are really gaining is the choice of prime semen, and for me it just wasn't worth the extra expense. What I decided to do was lease a bull from a neighbor of mine, a black angus, who's calves I have seen and I know is a good breeder, and he is in my pasture now. This guy brought the bull to me and told me I could keep him as long as I wanted, as his cows are already bred for the year. Now this is the ideal situation for me, as I dont have to feed the bull in the winter time or worry about vaccinations and so forth. Before I convinced this neighbor to lease me his bull, I had stopped and talked to a few other people near me who have angus cattle, and all of them were open to the aspect of leasing their bull to me, since they were all bred for the yr and the bull was just eating grass anyway. It was a chance for them to make a couple of hundred bucks extra for the next 3 months.
So to end this long winded diatrabe, no, it is not worth it for me. For your situation, it might be, but since I dont know if you are in a situation similiar to mine, with a full time job and family to deal with, or if you are a full time cattle man with lots of cows. Good luck with whichever way you decide, as I enjoy raising cattle and am trying to do it with the least amount of hassle as I can.

I hear all your arguments. Guess its somethin I gotta toss around some more in my mind. Thanks for the advise, have a great season......

Certainly AI is worth the money if you have the facilities to do it, and the time to check the cows for heat.
You can use the heat detector patches to help you detect when a cow is in heat
You can breed to the best bull of the breed of your choice for the traits that you want for normally between$15.00 and $50.00 per breeding, plus insimination fees.
You do not have to wait 60 days after breeding topreg test the cows.
If they come in heat again within 17 to normally 22 days after breeding you rebreed them.
Ten days after the 2nd or 3rd breeding; your decision; you turn a cleanup bull with, or have them preg tested after 60 days by a competent preg tester, and the ones that are still open you send to town.
IMO most vets are not competent preg testers.

Yes, A.I.ing is worth the money to obtain genetics from top bulls. We have semen on about 20 or so bulls (over 500 straws) as well as two of our own sires for clean-up bulls.

Our semen is stored at our area A.I. facility and we take cows to them and let them detect heat, etc., and insemminate. They do all the observation, testing, etc. Leave the cows there 2-4 weeks as needed. Makes it easy for us. The staff there are professionals...not the "A.I. Tech" type (a/k/a "fast food income tax preparers")--will probably get some hate mail for this comment...lol.

Running Arrow Bill":3j7jj07x said:
Yes, A.I.ing is worth the money to obtain genetics from top bulls. We have semen on about 20 or so bulls (over 500 straws) as well as two of our own sires for clean-up bulls.

Our semen is stored at our area A.I. facility and we take cows to them and let them detect heat, etc., and insemminate. They do all the observation, testing, etc. Leave the cows there 2-4 weeks as needed. Makes it easy for us. The staff there are professionals...not the "A.I. Tech" type (a/k/a "fast food income tax preparers")--will probably get some hate mail for this comment...lol.

Could you give my a ball park on what that would cost per cow ??? You know keeping the cow/day, Heat detection, Insemination, and storage of you semen ?

Tman":a8x05v6o said:
Running Arrow Bill":a8x05v6o said:

Could you give my a ball park on what that would cost per cow ??? You know keeping the cow/day, Heat detection, Insemination, and storage of you semen ?

Can get closer than that! Our A.I. facility charges $8.00 for the procedure, $10. for any needed Lutylase shots, and $3.50 a day boarding (includes heat detection, monitoring, etc.) The semen we have on storage there cost us between $10. and $150. a straw. Depends on which bull we use to add semen cost to the total package. The facility is located about 25 miles from us, so transport cost is minimal for us.

Thank you Bill, I have been looking for someone in the San Antonio area that does this and was wondering what the fair prices would be if and when I find them.

Dr. Castleberry in Castroville is very reasonable and VERY GOOD. He charged 30.00 to AI and I think 3.50 a day for boarding.

txshowmom":301d9aia said:
Dr. Castleberry in Castroville is very reasonable and VERY GOOD. He charged 30.00 to AI and I think 3.50 a day for boarding.

Excellent ! I will look him up. I keep my trailer out in Yancey so I pass right through there.

Question--if you use a clean-up bull after your AI, how do you know which genetics your calf gets? Are there tests for this?

You know by the DOB of the calf. You should wait 21 days to put you clean up bull out.

aggiecwby":ke2838as said:
Question--if you use a clean-up bull after your AI, how do you know which genetics your calf gets? Are there tests for this?

typically you should wait 21 days to put out the cleanup bull & then you can tell by the birthdate of the calf. dna tests can determine the sire if you are unsure.

txshowmom":f82ujngu said:
Did you read my post?? Isen't that exactly what i said??

ummmm......did you read mine? you mentioned nothing about dna. i guess i forgot to put that i agree about the 21 days. chill out.