Artificial Insemination

Help Support CattleToday:

Daniel B

Reaction score
How hard is it to A.I. a cow? How can you tell when a cow is ready to be bred?

Daniel B":2j2ybeaa said:
How hard is it to A.I. a cow? How can you tell when a cow is ready to be bred?

AI is not hard....if you know what you're doing. If you don't, you might as well be putting that high dollar semen in their feed. A cow cycles about every 20-22 days. She'll have a discharge, be restless, resting her head on other cows, mounting other cows, and, finally, when she's ready to breed, she'll stand still while other cows mount her. Most recommend breeding within 12 hours of standing heat. If she's standing in the morning, breed her in the evening. if she's standing in the evening, breed her early in the morning. There are also drugs that can be used to synchronize heats and breed cows by appointment, as opposed to heat detection.

Depends on if you have them come to your place or take the cows to them, if you provide the semen or they do, and if you synchronize them or just breed off of natural heat

Daniel, Frankie said it very well. It is not as easy as one might think. Sure it's easy if you are trained. If you arent, take that semen and shoot it on the ground, it will save you the work of getting the cow in the chute. If you would really like to go the A.I. route, look up genex/CRI or ABS, or Select Sires. They will get the job done for you, although you still have to be able to tell when they are in heat. Do some more research!!! Good Luck.

Im not sure about the other ones mentioned, but Select Sires offers a class on how to do it. I took it a couple years ago and it was well worth it.

I live in AZ and went to CO for an A.I Clinic. Being a vet tech and seeing it done on horses several times, I thought it would be easy. Well it was not as easy as I thought. You are working blind and by feel. I did get my own cow on the first try. I did my step-sister's cow and 2 heifers, but they never had them checked. They think one of the heifers and the cow is preg. I had a hard time threadingthe gun thru the cervix hanging up on the vaginal wall. I would suggest finding a vet or a tech to do it for you. I charged my step-sister $60 a head to cover my cost on the drugs and supplies. It cost me over $600 for the course, that includes course, travel,and hotel. Good luck.

I've seen it done a bunch of times, I'll be taking the course this Tuesday and Wednesday Select Sires. I guess I'll know after I take the course if I really want to AI or not-- :lol:

tncattle":mn1o00tp said:
I've seen it done a bunch of times, I'll be taking the course this Tuesday and Wednesday Select Sires. I guess I'll know after I take the course if I really want to AI or not-- :lol:

Remember to not tuck your pants legs inside your boots

Yeah , but knowing now instead of then will keep the be nice from going between your toes.

dun":1ycnt8o5 said:
tncattle":1ycnt8o5 said:

Remember to not tuck your pants legs inside your boots

And make sure you're not wearing your newest pair of jeans nor your best pair of boots. 'Cause if you do you'll be worrying more than the sht getting between your toes...

Latest posts